1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hourly Rate

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Down East Prop Serv, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Down East Prop Serv

Down East Prop Serv LawnSite Member

I know to figure an hourly rate, you have to add all your costs together, and add a profit margin, but with lawn care, do you still figure this on a 40 hour week? Can anyone help with this?:confused::usflag:
  2. viking72

viking72 LawnSite Member

Forget 40 hr work weeks, in my case $90 per hr for machine and operator,
    is the lowest rate profitable. Your mileage will vary.
  3. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

90 an hour seems very high. Maybe I'm too new, but is everyone else around that for mowing?

I don't go off an hourly rate for mowing, I go off per job.

KODAKMOWING99 LawnSite Member

hourly rate has a lot to do with the type of customer your catering too.$90hr would be awesome but in my neck of the would id never get one bid,$75 hr on a few good jobs but 90% of my lawns commercial or residential are more like $60hr.but that don't leave much meat on the bone.5 years full time 20 years part time. not a lot of manicured subdivisions in my part of town, i use to travel to high end of town, about 30 miles one way and get the big money but so did everyone else,i do much better staying 10-15 miles from the house.a $60 lawn to me maybe a $55 yard to you or vise versa.
  5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

How many billable hours do you have in a 40 hour workweek?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. viking72

viking72 LawnSite Member

There are no 40 hr work weeks when you are self employed.
    $90 is the min. the goal is $120.
    The numbers are not for bidding but for you to use for your standard.
    To make these goals set min. such as $35 to drop gate, ect.
    Your local market will help set your max.
    Do not under estimate your total costs.
  7. mclawns365

mclawns365 LawnSite Member

Hourly rate varies by job for us, but I do landscape as well. 35 to drop the gate is definately a good start, and I have done pretty well with some nice subdivisions just doing a 35 dollar standard. Id rather have 10 houses in one neighborhood for 35 than 10 houses all over town at 60. Going rate here is low though, due to alot of layoffs (meaning guy with truck and mower is abundant and sets our standard for us, sigh) but for commercial work, I go 60 hourly on anything maintanence related. 90 for anything thats gonna make my back hurt lol.
  8. XC skier

XC skier LawnSite Member

Our labor rate for 2014 will be $46 per man hour. For mowing I figure on $70 to $90 per man hour depending on size and for leaf removal $60 to $100. Whenever preparing an estimate for say cleanups, shrub trimming etc. I always add in a "fudge" factor of 10% which should cover the few times that I underestimate.
  9. kope0037

kope0037 LawnSite Member

$90/man hr seems nuts. So if you have a 2 man crew cut a residential that takes 1/2 hr, you charge $90? Wish I could get away with that.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody makes 90 per hour on a consistent basis cutting lawns. Numbers like 25 to 40 are reasonable. And it doesn't matt3r what your cost are the price is determined by the competitive market.