Hourly Rates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NEWGUYRI, Nov 28, 2009.

NEWGUYRI LawnSite Senior Member

What do you charge? One of my customers wants 40 yards of mulch, they get this every year and pay the supplier directly and then pay me by the man hour. What should I charge?
  2. sc0tt250

sc0tt250 LawnSite Member

I was told by a landscape estimator that if they want to supply the materials thats when you say "ok, i'll do the work for $25/hr". That was for pulling weeds, charge like $30 or $40/hr for spreading mulch and you should be fine!

great, I was thinking 30-40 per/hr for spreading.
  4. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

your price per yard of mulch installed (including mulch)- price of mulch= price per man hour.

so if you charge 65 per yard installed and you pay 25 per yard for mulch, charge 40 per man hour.
  5. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

go by the yard. watever the mulch price is add 10 to it and thats what they pay per yard.

thats not how the customer wants it. They want a price per man hour, not per yard
  7. santafe

santafe LawnSite Member

I, also, think $30-$40/hr is fair, but I don't know what the rest of you think but this sounds like they are price shopping and if you have them for a mowing acct you might be careful what you charge.
  8. ferris09

ferris09 LawnSite Member
    from Ms

You do this every year but you don't what to charge? What did you charge the previous time? If you are getting this for the first time but this is what THEY want then figure how much you would normally charge per yard for mulch and labor and figure out what the hourly would rate would be.

I don't think money is an issue. They own a multi-million dollar corporation. I just wanted to figure out what a fair price was.

This IS my first time doing this for them. I'm thinking about renting a small Kubota to spread the mulch(with turf tires).
  10. Daniel's Lawn Care

Daniel's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Have any idea why they are so picky about paying you by the hour instead of by the yard?