Hourly rates?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by zip_256, Apr 11, 2004.

1. zip_256

zip_256 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone. I have read a lot of post on here and have read about people charging $50+ per hour. Where I live people look at you like you're ******** if you try to charge anywhere close to that. I usually have to charge by the job and I manage around $15-$20 per hour. Am I undercharging, or do I just live in a cheap area(West Virginia)?

2. cmorris

cmorris LawnSite Member

that is way too low, I don't even unload for less than $35.00 per mowing, $75.00 per hour. ( 44" walk behind, 61" grasshopper. Try not to let them know what you are charging per hour, charge per job.

3. Mattitude

Mattitude LawnSite Member
    from WV

What part of WV are you from. YOu need to be closer to $50 per hour and no less than $25 for small residentials.

4. zip_256

zip_256 LawnSite Member

I'm from Charleston. And you? What do you advise that I do? I have tried bigger prices and just lost customers because of it. Should you charge different rates depending on which method you use to mow? I generally push mow most of my lawns, unless they are just enormous. Any advice?

5. Mattitude

Mattitude LawnSite Member
    from WV

ZIP, after I pay insurance, taxes, city taxes, state taxes, travel time, fuel and equipment costs I can not do work for less than $50 per hour. Most residentials in my area can be completed in less than 30minutes, this includes unloading and loading. We always have two guys working. ME and my partner work together on all of these. We have been lucky so far in getting jobs fairly close together where travel and load time are low.

I am further up I-77 in Wood County!