1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hourly rates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sparcolawn, Jan 24, 2005.

1. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

what do you charge for an hourly labor rate? stuff like mulching, instulations, everything besides mowing... Last year i charged $35.00 an hr. this year im thinking about going up to $37.00 an hour
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I never charge a hourly rate. You can get more just charging by the job. If you tell someone that you charge $65.00, they think your crazy. But if you tell them, the job will cost $130.00 they are more likely agree to it. Not to mention, you can't be accused of working to slow.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

are for people who don't really want to make real money
  4. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

That is in the area of what i charge. 35-80 depending on the type of work. 80 being ripping out 25 15 year old yews by hand. (was not accessible with a truck). The problem with giving $ amounts for some jobs is that they want you there doing stupid things. i have a residential customer that will want me there 8-10 hours a week over when i cut. what i do changes every week. so what you are trying to charge seems fine. sometimes i think i am a little low. But i always charge for dumping+1hour labor if it is a full load.

Albenesius Lawn Service
  5. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

You can have an hourly rate without the customer knowing what it is. Otrherwise how do you prepare a budget, or forecast your sales for the year...better yet, how do you know what to charge the customer? Guess? Just look at something and say "hmmm, that looks like it should cost $275.00" NO, you should look at the job and say"hmmm, that looks like it should take 8 hours (8hrs x 30/hr would equal $240.00)" You dont tell the customer you think it should take 8 hrs, you tell them it will be $240.00.
  6. LawnEmpire

LawnEmpire LawnSite Member

Yeah i charge by the job. I figure what I my hourly rate would be in head head calculate by how much time i think it wil take and thats how much i charge per job. It works out well
  7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

charge the customer per hour, or have a rate that YOU use to base your job pricing???
  8. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I do, works great. Way more than 30/hr though but i keep 1-2 helpers too.