Hourly versus by the job

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TBotine, Apr 7, 2004.

1. soonerlawns

soonerlawns LawnSite Member

If charging hourly be careful that you have an agreement with the customer on a not to exceed $ amount. When I started out I did an hourly spring cleanup job on a large heavily treed lot with lots of flower beds and ground cover areas. The hourly charge came to $700...the customer was not expecting nearly that much and it cost me the weekly mowing for this customer.

2. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I like it when people just tell me to get the job done and send them the bill. If people want an exact price I try to estimate how long it will take and charge accordingly. I find leaf jobs fairly difficult to predict incredibly accurately.

3. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Is that how you did it back in 2004 when this thread was started? LOL

That's at least 4 threads from 2004 that you've bumped this morning. Feeling nostalgic?
    Longing for the good old days?
    :p

On topic: In my mind I estimate the total by the hourly rate, but give them a total - not an hourly price. Good way to give someone a heart attack.

4. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Old threads often have content relevant to today. It's also new content I have not seen yet so I enjoy going back and reading. Lots of the same topics, just a few years older. :)