1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly vs. pay per job

Discussion in 'Employment' started by WYtyler, Mar 7, 2011.

1. ghunter502

ghunter502 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Yes as long as they don't fall under minimum wage it doesn't matter if they are considered salary or hourly.

2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

If I'm not mistaken, you're gonna need to prove they have (____) employees they supervise, directly....to put an employee on salary.

If something makes sense in your head, there's a good chance someone else has thought of it. That doesn't make it legal, though.

3. WYtyler

WYtyler LawnSite Member

Here are some other things we have considered. First, we don't mow any lawns, we do more design/build landscapes So our gross production per day could be higher than $1000. Second, to make sure that they are making at least minimum wage we would still track their hours and divide that by what they got paid for that job. We do have an office manager to track that. Third, as far as cutting corners, we have a client sign off sheet for each job for quality control. Also, if there are call backs due to a problem we caused, they would not get paid for that. So they would want less call backs obviously. Do those ideas sound good?

4. vencops

from NC

"Also, if there are call backs due to a problem we caused, they would not get paid for that."

Now you need the lawyer's number, again.

5. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I have 3 people on Salary base on what we do each week been doing this for 10 years Prodution is higher
    My Work hours are 6 am to 8 pm 5 days week

6. vencops

from NC

In NC......you'd owe your employees back-pay for however long you've been on that system.

7. ghunter502

ghunter502 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

I just talked to my attorney and my accountant and commision or salary is perfectly legal!

8. masonenterprises

masonenterprises LawnSite Member

Salary doesnt make them in a supervisory role.. I worked at a large corporation and there were 4000 salary workers... probably 25% of them were in some form of management... and for the other 3000 seems liked they just checked there email and stood around all day... the hourly workers actually got paid about 30% more on average than the non management types... unions

9. vencops

from NC

Agreed.

Now.......when you start working folks over 40hrs/wk.......you're gonna run into trouble.

There was a rash of claims made against employers in the early 90's in the golf profession (club professionals). Clubs used to put the assistant professionals on salary and work them exhorbitant hours.

That's not legal.

10. vencops

from NC