Hourly vs. pay per job

Discussion in 'Employment' started by WYtyler, Mar 7, 2011.

1. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

it seems like it would take more time to figure out how much your employees make by the job. its just easier to have them log their hours and turn them in every week.

2. harryb

harryb LawnSite Member

ghunter502, would like to know if you are useing this way to pay your help and how it is working

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I reviewed our work commission and piecemeal is legal but you can not let them go below minimum wage. The concept is they will waste less time in the field. You would need to track both

4. harryb

harryb LawnSite Member

can you explain how your's works?

5. agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

I recall reading an article on this in a landscape magazine. Some of the workers got ticked off and left, but the ones that stayed made considerably more money. I think it would be best to have the employees working for at least several years so you know what kind of work they do and they'd know the properties well. There would have to be some way to dock pay if they cut corners and a customer complained.

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I too have read a few articles and there are some problems. Not every job we do is good for piece meal pay.
    Will quality suffer as they rush through the job?

I am not 100% sold on the concept. I am considering getting clip and tracking time closer. It will track piecement work.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You have a supervision problem. Don't complicate the solution. If a system worked, the majority would be using it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider LawnSite Member

will the be exempt or non exempt employees?

9. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

I believe in Texas they would be non-exempt so you would have to track hours and make sure they do not drop below minimum wage. If they are dropping that low, then you are not paying enough for the job.

10. ghunter502

ghunter502 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

We implemented this pay scale shortly after this post started. We started paying our employees by the job versus hourly. If I would have known how this would turn out I would have done this years ago. We started out with one crew to see how it would work. Within 2 months all of my crews came to me asking how they could be involved in this system. They could see how much more money our test crew was making they were getting done earlier in the day because of increased productivity they were done earlier. My employees are much happier, not asking for more money, significantly increased productivity, and less employee turnover. They also get incentives for up sells for there current customers and new customers. Best program we ever started.