Hours estimate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clncut, Sep 22, 2006.

1. clncut

clncut LawnSite Member

I was asked for a bid on weeding 105 trees in a HOA that I mow. The homeowners were supposed to be taking care of this but have neglected to do so. Each tree has an approx. 4 ft. ring around them with mulch. About half the bed are full of weeds and the other has minimal amounts to pull. Im estimating 10 min. to weed and walk to the next tree. Im figuring about 17 hours to weed all the trees with 2 guys. After adding my hourly rate this will easily be over 1000 dollars to do. Im sure the HOA is going to freak about this price and I really want to keep the mowing account. Do these figures sound right? Just want to make sure Im figuring my times correctly.

Thanks for the help in advance.
    John

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would give them 2 options 1. Pull them for $1050 plus $100 disposal and 2. Spray them for whatever your spray rates are...if you aren't licensed sub it out.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

John, is the 4 foot ring you mention a radius or diameter? 34 man hours seems alot IMO.

4. clncut

clncut LawnSite Member

Diameter. The beds may even be a little bigger. Origionally they wanted me to just knock them down with a weedwacker. Ive decided against that as their would be mulch everywhere and weeds lying all over the place. Dont think it would look all that good. One other thing I forgot to mention is there is some walking involved. These trees are spread out between 4 different islands and entrance ways.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'd go with Ric3077's idea to spray, much faster and a helluva lot easier than getting up and down at least 105 times.

6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

could spraying harm the trees?

7. clncut

clncut LawnSite Member

At this time I am not licensed in spraying so looks like weeding will have to do. Does my estimate on time sound close?

8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

bid what you need to make money. you got any pics of the areas to be cleaned? that would help us help you alot more.:waving:

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think you want to be careful with a bid that seems high on something that should have been included as part of the mowing. I know you said they were supposed to take care of it but you don't want to open this up for new bidding. The next guy might say that he will do it as part ofthe job no extra charge. This needs to be sprayed and pre-m put down and that would be practically the end to the problem, short of ocassional spraying. I would sub it out, but if you think you can get $1K go for it, you know your customer better than I do.