Hours in a work week

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ocutter73, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Ocutter73

Ocutter73 LawnSite Member
    from nj

I was wondering how many hours you allow for your workers in a week. In other words do you do 4 (10) hr days, 5 (8) hr days, or work till you drop? Im trying to keep all happy this yr by not spending too many hrs in the hot sun as well as add some kind of incentive to get the work week done early. Any thoughts would be helpful.

2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

I used to work for a guy that paid us per day. Somedays we would work 10+ hours somedays during the summer we would work less than 6 hours. We would make the same everyday regardless. He paid us fair and treated us well. Maybe we didn't get paid for every hour we worked but bringing home as much as we did no one ever complained. We were happy and he didn't pay for overtime. I guess it was an informal salary.

3. Ocutter73

from nj

I can see where that would benefit you the worker but is he still in business? Just wondering how that affected his bottom line.

4. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Get at it early and get it done ....sometimes you have to work a little longer

5. bj1bmx

bj1bmx LawnSite Member
    from NJ

i can only speak for my situation - I am on the crew daily and work with my younger brother. (no other employees at this time)

we are in the truck driving to the first location by 7am. we will work until 5pm usually or until that days route is done or until the weather tells us otherwise.

never call it a day when you havent finished a route just because the clock says its time to stop.

id personally rather work 4 - 15 hour days than 6 - 10 hour days. then again, i like to travel and or relax on my weekends. many people have nothing else to do or look forward to, so they work their 5-6 days a week at their own pace. to each their own.

for this same reason, I prefer to work hard part of the year and have several months off. its all about efficiency. get the job done, make your $, and go home

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

this year things will change a little....the grass crew (like last year) is on their own. 3 man crew its up to the foreman (salary) to get it done and done right so they work as long as they want. the work crews i want to cut back to about 7 or 730 to 4pm.

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

My guys work 4-10's in the summer they are out the door at 5:00 am and in by 3:30 I have a cooler and lunch stuff on the rig so the guys don't have to go out of the route for anything. This time of year they start at 7:30 but are usually in by 5:30 slow time of year. I just hope they make it back from wherever on Tuesday AM.

8. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

Our guys will work 6-7 days a week in the Spring (March-June) then we goto 5 days from 8am-6pm until it gets HOT then it's 4-5 days 7:30am-3pm (don't burn them out, how productive are your workers after lunch out in the heat or cold for extended periods; not very).

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

sun up untill sun down in the summer time....

10. Ocutter73

from nj

A lot of good ideas here. I should have mentioned that I was referring to a work crew for landscaping and hardscaping not lawns. But I agree to get the route done when its done.
    DBL, AZ and John - Thats what I had in mind with changing the hrs with the change of temps. I know that even after a 1/2 hr lunch in 85+ heat I just want to crash sometimes.