Hours mowed vs. the meter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ability, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

The mower I have does not have an hour meter. I was told that the amount of hours you actually spend on it mowing is not the amount of hours that the hour meter measures.

Could some of you guys with mowers with hour meters on them shed some light on this?
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

All my hour meters are ticking away as long as the key is in the on position the engine or blades do not even have to be turning.
  3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

My two main mowers both have hour meters and it seems like they have spent more time running than the meters show.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

interesting, I never knew that with just the key turned on it ticks.
  5. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

My hour meters only turns when the blades are engaged. So I put a tiny tach on them and there isn't that much difference between them, maybe 5-10 hours for every 100.
  6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

As far as i know all of our hour meters count correctly but I havn't really checked it to make sure.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on how the tach is setup. On eXmark mowers they are by oil pressure. So when the motor runs the meter counts. If the key is left on but the mower is not running it is NOT counting.
  8. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

I am not sure if they are set up to work off the oil pressure, but i know that on the vehicles that have hour meters (special prototype vehicles) the hour meter works off the fuel pump. No gas, no engine running.

9. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

On my JD, if the key is left on the on position it is ticking, doesn't matter if the engine is on or off.

So, it depends on how you have it set up. I put a hour meter on my dirt bike and connected the wire to the spark plug, so it doesn't matter if the key is left in the on position or not.
  10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

This is something that I have not liked for a long time. No two mowers have the hours meter set up the same way. Some only run when the blades are turning, some run when only when the engine is running (blades on or off), and soem run just by turning the key to the "RUN" position. I have even seen to mowers of the same make and model be wired differant. It makes it hard to compare hours from mower to mower.