Hours on a mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ncgrad00, Jun 12, 2008.

1. ncgrad00

ncgrad00 LawnSite Member

What is the most hours you have seen on a non comercial mower? Can anyone top this.

Picture 020.jpg

Picture 021.jpg

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

It must have been taken care of! but 2000 is not out of reach for a mower with good maintenance

3. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

My father owned a Cub Cadet for roughly 20 years, mowed once a week with it and every mow took him around 6 hours. Mowing for 6 months out of the year that comes out to 2880 hours. Now obviously he didn't mow weekly religiously but he also mowed more than 6 months in a year sometimes. He just traded it in this year on a new Cub Cadet and they gave him $25 for it. LOL

4. ncgrad00

ncgrad00 LawnSite Member

what do you think this one is worth? I am trying to sell it.

5. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

THOSE Cub Cadets were TOUGH. Man I'd love to have one of those just for a tractor around the yard. I've got my grandad's old 2135 Cub in the garage. He bought it new in 1998 and ran it like he stole it til he died in 2003. It has 779 hours on it. The deck is trash where he'd hit everything with it. As far as greasing it and changing oil he was religous about that. He just would never raise the deck over gravel and tree roots and just warped the snot out of that deck. I plan to use it for aerating and fert.

6. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

I've got no clue what it's worth but it's almost identical to the one my father had. So... $25?

7. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Nice looking old cub. Im going to restore a 1985 Cub Cadet Model 1811 this summer. It was a Cadillac when my grandfather bought it. Powered steering, hydro lift for the deck and snow blade, wheel weights, snow chains.

I had the engine rebuilt a few years ago and it was running great. But the hydraulic piston that drives the power steering came unscrewed and hydraulic fluid leaked out. I screwed it back together but it kept coming lose and finally one day the wheels would not turn and when I tried to turn them it seemed to be fighting the power steering.

Im going to take the time this summer to get it working just for the hell of it since I spent so much of my childhood on it.

If anyone has any suggestions to my dilemma I would appreciate them.

Sorry for going so off topic

8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Thats not a whole lot for a home owner, I have seen 2000 on many lawn tractors. As for what its worth, well to me i'd say 50 bucks.

9. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I had one bought new in 1991. 17hp kohler, hydrostatic drive. Biggest piece of S**** I ever had.. It was trouble from the beginning. Electric blade clutch burned up at two weeks. Transaxel froze up second year, no anti sieze had been applied and one of the wheels was frozen onto axel.. Dealer ruined wheel getting it off and I made them replace it on their nickle.

Then the deck, spindles were great, good cast iron housings, tapered bearings and no problems there. Deck hanger attachments were flimsy little tabs butt welded to deck, and I cannot remember how many times I had those things rewelded, finally making replacements out of angle iron which finally worked ok. Deck hanger rods were to light , only about a 1/4 to 5/16 rod and were constantly breaking, I got to where I kept spares on hand.

Batteries would only last part of a season, never could find out why. Starter (engine) would get dirty, dry so it generally required taking down cleaning bendix, and lubing bearings in starter moter so it would spin fast enough to engage, Had to do this about twice a year.

Finally the transaxle froze again and I gave it away to get rid of it. Replaced it with a JD LX 277 in 2000 and it is still going strong, original battery, only only one little sealed bearing idler pulley required replacement and that was under warrenty. I have since retired it , keeping it to pull a large lawn trailer around, as well as to occasionally move my tandem axel utility trailer, it is easier to manuver to hook up to these than my ZTR.

I will never consider another cub cadet product, because of total lack of manufactuer and dealer support, even though that dealer dropped them.

10. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

1950's I beleive. Got it from a guy who said he had cut with it ever since he got it. It stopped working all of a sudden, I looked at it, gave him $50. The wire for the points fell off.

CASE Mower.jpg