Hours on Blade Sharpenings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jun 10, 2008.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

How many hours for you guys is typical on one blade sharpening? On your main use mower. 20 hours? 40 hours?

As background, I have a Quick 36 so if Quick owners want to chime in that would be great.

Thanks

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Every morning,itz simple with a impact and grinder,3 mowers less than 10 mins,the dust iz what dulls blades in a hurry,think of all you cut in a day then argue about sharpen every day.........

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

dont use my 36 much at all, have been running about 1 month before sharp blades are put on

4. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on how many yards you do a day, conditions, etc. I check mine every couple days and will touch them up with a metal file. Every week I take them off and sharpen them good. I keep an extra set of sharpened blades. I have a quick 32 that I don't use that often. The last time I sharpened the blades, I just tilted the mower back and put the front on a cinder block and reached under and sharpend them with a file. I use my Toro Z mostly, so the blades need sharpened more frequently. I try not to cut sticks, gravel, roots, etc.

5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually sharpen blades, spool trimmer heads, fuel everything up on Sunday,check oil etc. I have 5 sets of blades for my Tiger. When I come in every night I go ahead and change them out for sharpened ones. Start every day off with sharp blades. Doesn't take much time to change them on a Tiger. This way I don't have to fool with stringing trimmers or stopping to get fuel etc. during the week.

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

i asked this a couple weeks ago. Guys in some areas need to sharpen every 8 hours. I try and get 30 if i dont do any brush cutting with it.

7. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

10 with the WB and maybe 5-8 with the Turf Tiger.

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Once you start sharpening, they don't stay sharp as long compared to new. When I start sharpening, I try to swap out daily, also. :)

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Daily!

Oldtimer

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, every day.