1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hours on Mower

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ztrguy, Jan 29, 2003.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Just got a Exmark Lazer Z HP, 52" deck, 23hp Kaw. I was wondering how many hours I should expect out of this mower? How many seasons will it last before I start having to do work on it? I'll be using it to cut around 40 smaller yards per week. Just trying to get an idea of about how long it will stand up before I have to buy another.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

That's a tough one to estimate. To be honest you generally get out of one what you put into it. I'm a firm believer that you should plan on having some type of failure in every year. It's just the nature of any commercial machine. Not everyone has a failure in his or her first year of use but you should plan on it. Some of these failures can be operator error, maintenance errors, simple worn parts (such as belts) and yes we can have a defective part here and there as well. A more important question is what is the optimal time to replace the unit.

I like the 2000 hour rule. Once you've got 2000 hours on a machine you've gotten a great deal of use out of a commercial machine. It may still be in great useable condition or it may be in need of major repairs. It really depends upon maintenance routine and the operator’s skill. At 2000 hours the mower still has a great deal of value as a commercial machine. Generally by the time you've got 2000 hours on it we've probably made enough improvements to justify replacing it for a more productive better performing or more comfortable machine.

Hope this helps.