Hours on used equipment.....how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by asyracus, Jun 28, 2004.

1. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

I've been looking at used mowers, and was wondering.....what would you all consider "high" hours?

At how many hours would you start running into major problems?

How many hours can you typically get out of a commercial mower?

Thanks for any insight!

2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

4000 hr is abt the limit it depends i have abt 6000 on my scag walkbehind.... its all in maintance... like how welll they up kept the unit

3. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

Thanks, Chuckers. That's a lot higher than I thought. I was looking at a ZTR with 2000 hours, and I thought it seemed like kind of a lot.

Do the hydro pumps have a shorter life than the engine?

4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

uh yes but it depends on the drive system i know on grasshoppers you can get hydros overhauled for about 600$ total and there good as new engines last along time and there really easy to work on also tell me about the ztr like how old is it what kind what engine and how much?

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Don't just look at hours. Try to find out the maintenance records of the ztr if possible. Also, if the mower was used by a mowing crew of a large scale LCO it probably has been abused if used by a lot of different operators. At 2000 hours the engine is not producing the HP that it originally had. If the engine is a 23 HP for instance, then at 2000 hours it has probably lost 3 or 4 HP just from compression loss and bearing wear. That's not a reason to pass on the mower if it is in good overall condition and the price is reasonable. The engine can be rebuilt for less than half the cost of a new one.
    Also look closely at the frame and deck. Is the deck beat up or bent? Is the frame rusting or bent? If the answer is yes to any of these questions, you can bet that it has been abused. In that case I would pass on it.

6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

At 2000 hrs its due for a new engine if its air cooled. They lose alot of the HP by then.