Hours on you mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AUHort1990, Oct 21, 2005.

1. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

How many hours do you typically put on a machine before you think about getting a new one? We have a Scag Cougar with low hours...maybe 325 or so but I can't stand the thing. It just doesn't cut as well as our exmarks.

2. tstrong

tstrong LawnSite Member

:) 325 or so.

3. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

LOL, I may try to get rid of it next year. I didn't put it in our budget for this year. My boss always asks about the hours on the machine. I work for a self funded State Agency where I am the only Landscape Director and my boss doesn't know anything about the machines we use but he 'knows' people who do. I'm not slamming my boss cause he is a good one but I would sure like to lose this machine.

4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

If you dont like cause its not making money or doing a poor job or its starting problems with the crews get rid of it if you can afford it. The machine will probbly see at least 1000 hours.

5. I've had my JD 757 for 18 months now and I have 1700 hrs on it and it is still going strong. I run them until it's not cost effective to put money into them,or til they become unreliable.

6. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: man i wish i had some of your guys money, a 1000 hours. we run machines evryday with 3500+ on them. ill try to get some pics up here, youd never tell they had that many hours. my walker has 6700 hours, 2nd motor but hydros and pumps all original, and works all day everyday. i do have to say im very anal about maint. i think thats the key. tony

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

my 93 toro 32 w/koler is still going on original engine trans, spindle and deck. most of the rest has been replaced at some point. no idea how many hrs are actually on it

8. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

You may think this is funny but my grandfather back in 1985 bought a eXmark for me to cut his field! Although i've change a couple of things its still running like one of those new ones! plugs and oil is the key thing to keeping a machine for ever!

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

grease goes a long way too . i grease my fittings every day. i finally found a grease gun that can stand up to the fla heat. before it would all melt out if i carried it in my truck.

10. Which one is it?