Hours on your mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The mayor, Nov 2, 2005.

1. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

How many hours does you ztr run before it is paid off. I was thinking about that the other day mowing. How many lawns do you have to mow before the mower is paid for. It is less than what you may think.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You'll have to rephrase or clarify this question. Are you asking how long before a person could pay for their mower is that was all they used? Or how long before a person could pay for their mower as it is a tool in a group of tools? Or how long it takes a mower to pay for itself (takes much, much longer than most people think) if that was the only thing they used or as a tool in a group of tools?
  3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

430 hours on my scag ztr and about 950 dollars left that i owe on it
  4. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

I look at it differently. I finance the mower for as long as my accountant can depreciate it. I have one year left on one ZTR and two years left on another ZTR. All WB's are long paid off, as well as all the trailers. Support equipment (blowers, trimmers ect.) are paid for when purchased. As far as how long it takes for each mower to generate enough money to pay for itself, WB's are about half a season and I figure about two seasons for a ZTR, this is after fuel and repair cost, but does not include operator payroll. I have basically all SCAGs and do all repair and maintenance myself. This works for me, it may not work for everyone.
  5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I run JD 595-495-455 and plan to run them until the wheels fall off. Should get 7000 hrs. out of them or more. I just figure about 5 dollars per hr for maintainance, depreciation, etc.
  6. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I never finance or go in debt for a mower.......i would rather mow with a 21" push mower than have the biggest badest mower and be a slave to debt just to pay it off.......
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

How long does the accountant allow for a $7000 machines? In hours? And how does he handle it if you put on a new wheel motor or engine?
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

My newest mower could've been paid off at 200hrs, but i chose to use that money else where. It all depends on what your overhead is, how many accounts you have, and what you net.
  9. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

My Gravely ZTR has about 1045hrs on it and I plan on running it until the wheels fall off. Mechanically it is honestly almost like new, I take very good care of it. It was paid for in full the day I bought it.
  10. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

I depreciate a ZTR. for three years, I average about 500 hours per season so I would guese in hours, 1500 would be an average. I have yet to loose a wheel motor (knock on wood), lost a couple of spindles and two engines let go this season, one with 600 hours and one with 1800 hours both on WB's. I should have replaced the 1800 hour engine last winter, but I never got around to it, the other one let go this afternoon. I'll replace the engines and put the receipts with all the other receipts and paper work I'll take to her this December. My last two ZTR's were closer to $9,500.00. I've never had a major mechanical problem, in the first 1200-1500 hours, just lucky I guess...not sure what happened to the engine that went BANG!! today. Other than that, I'm not sure exactly how she does it...that's what I pay her for.:)