Hours out of a commercial mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Boys LawnCare, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Green Boys LawnCare

Green Boys LawnCare LawnSite Member

2006 was my first season in business. I'm wondering about how many hours you guys that have been in business a while are getting out of your commercial mowers? I have a ferris zero turn and a 36" toro walk behind. I know there is going to be a lot of variance depending on the way equipment is used and how well it is maintained. I'm just wanting to get an idea. Thanks
  2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I put on about 400 hours a year on my lazer. I also have an exmark metro 36 that I don't know why I bought but I put on maybe 15 hours on all year. How many did you put on? Full time or part time?
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to guess by years of reading 2000 hrs is a good average for air cooled equipment.
  4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

With proper maintnance you should be able to get around 2,500 hrs of commercial use out of it depending on engine/deck combo. Smaller engine bigger deck means more stress on engine and more heat. Sure thing will need to be replaced like Belts, spindle bearings, blades, Air Cleaner and other but if you maintain your equipment it will last a long time. Belts 700 hr Bearings 1,500 hr depends on how much abuse they go through. Blades when they just wont stay sharp anymore.
  5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I put a little over 300 per year on my SuperZ. It's around 650 right now and I truly believe it runs better now than when new. I imagine it's got to do with how I run the machine, now that I know what it'll do and how to get the most out of it.

2000 plus hours on a well maintained commercial mower is almost commonplace.:)
  6. tacoma200

If you were talking about ZTR's only then I would guess closer to 2500-3000. I know of diesels with many more hours than that but the machine has to be maintained as mentioned above. Lot's of things should wear out before the engine, especially spindles. I'm not sure what the life expectancy of the no grease sealed spindles such as my lazer will be but I think less than greasable. How you treat one will have a lot to do with it.
  7. Green Boys LawnCare

Green Boys LawnCare LawnSite Member

I put about 350 hours on my zero turn. The walk behind doesn't have an hour-meter, but it's probably somewhere in the same range. I expect to put more on next year, since I started out kind of slow. How do you guys handle breakdowns (carry common spare parts, spare mowers, relationship with repair shop). I had a couple of small issues this season, and the dealer was not very quick at getting the issue resolved, and me back to work. I was considering buying another walk behind mower as a spare.
  8. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Should definately get at least 2000hrs, but I have seen some lazers close to 3000 with original engine.
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Exmark 36" Viking, hydro, 15hp Kohler. It has finished nine seasons, and was used very heavily, until part way through the last one (bought a ZTR part way through the season).

The first engine lasted about 2,500 hours, and the second one seems to be going strong. It certaintly has more hours than the first one, probably over 3,000. The hydro pumps and motors are original with no replacements, no repairs. Spindle bearings have been replaced many times (initial greasable ones lasted about four seasons, non-greasable ones since then have much shorter life).

My commercial LawnBoy hand mowers have reached 2,000 hours too, but with much more maintenance and headaches.
  10. tacoma200

Once again Kohlers are cheap to replace so if the rest of the unit has been taken care of just swap out. A Kaw may last longer especially water cooled, but of course cost more. Judgment call.