Hours vary from timeclock to work done? Can you deduct hours?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by meets1, Mar 7, 2013.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Situation: Did snow. New guys (3) to be exact. One new guy paid well, talked big, I said supervisior. He did awful. Anyway all the accounts with 3 guys they clocked in for 42 hours. On the sheets/list that they do, they worte all there times down. I had about 18 hours of billable time which is usual for our snow. I went back and had another 4 hours plus my wife came with me cuz people were calling, not done, half way done etc. Had a meeting with the guys, everyone admitting to working the clock and agreed to the time that was billable but I said I can go to 20 hhours just because you have fuel, time between stops, someone talks etc. Legally can we deduct those hours? So each guy had about 14 hours on the clock, now they have around 6 1/2 hours of actual work that was done. During past snows of equal amount, usually 5-7 with a 3 man crew gets it done.

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

You pay from the time they punch to the time they punch out.

3. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

if they are being dishonest, cut your losses

4. grandview (2006)

So you don't want to pay them the time it takes to gas up your trucks or the time they talk to your customers or the time it takes to drive to your lots?

5. meets1

Thats what I figured. Losses to be cut. I get so tired of people. IF its not one thing its another, not my fault, he said she said. Not even spring yet and I am hating it already dealing with employees. Wreck this and that but yet no one knows what happened. It was like that when I showed up this morning...Oh Really??

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You're a little hard to follow. Are you saying you only pay for the time the plow is down? Not for windshield, fueling, customer service time? If so that's a huge labor faux pas. Are they using your equipment or is this some kind of sub deal?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. meets1

Also, this guy part time I guess. Never put in over 40. Never told him full time or anything. He knows our key code to shop which I can delete but no I need to state yes, you fired. Tell him thanks for the work but wont be needing you, what is correct approach? I do have security system at shop so I can see if after tomorrow he shows up ever again but.........

8. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

I just read it again and im also curious about that. also why was it not done or some halfway done?

9. meets1

No my equipment. But sitting having lunch at two different places in town watching the weather. Numerous calls came in that day that walks didn't get done, or complete driveways weren't done, when I placed to call to our supervisior he said he was tired (sits in plow truck) he went home. He'll get them later. Talk to other guys they claim yes we rode around with 3 guys in truck, eat, stopped got fuel, rode around some more. I am in a town of 5000 people so windshield time b/t locations is a matter of a few blocks. One drive took 20 minutes for example, but yet they had 3 guys there, 2 just along for the ride, then shovel a door while plow guy sat waiting. It was no good. Summer has windshield time, cuz we travel with 30-40 miles for work, thats part of the game for us but snow is pretty route of limited windshield time. I dont think I need to pay to sit at McDonalds for 2 hours talking. But at this point it is what it is I guess.

10. grandview (2006)

Just sounds then you have one to many guys. They are passing work off to each other. So yes pay them in full and get rid of someone before the next snow/season starts.