Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sglawn, Mar 18, 2004.

1. sglawn

sglawn LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    I recently just got in with a very prominant realtor in my area. She was asking me what i could charge her for an hourly rate. I usually don't charge by the hour, but that is what she wanted and I really don't wanna mess this one up. I have one other guy that works for me, so i was wondering if i should charge one rate for me and a smaller rate for him. What would be a reasonable rate? I will be doing mostly maintenance stuff, mowing, trimming, weeding, mulching, etc. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!:confused:

Thanks, Zach
  2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Depends of the job. Our base hourly rate is $35, mowing is $60. That is one man hour, so if I have 2 guys on the job the base rate would be $70 and mowing $120. You would charge the same rate for your helper.
  3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Working with realtors can be good and bad. Make sure you have a good agreement (hand shake, contract, whatever) about what exactly, and when, you are to do work.

I had a bad experience years ago with realtors, and am not interested in dealing with them again.
  4. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Alot of people do! (bad experiences that is)
  5. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

I had this same problem last year. I had a 4 page list of properties that one client wanted me to work on. It wasn't practical to go to each place and come up with bids on like 200 addresses. I quoted an hourly rate then found that the client was looking for a sort of baseline to compare me with my competition. He actually preferred to be chareged by the job.
  6. chinook Winds

chinook Winds LawnSite Member

check out this one www kehoeguido.com I really like the book hated the paperwork it it made me do but worth it:blob3:
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

What jobs or projects is she looking for you to do? I would stick to my guns. Because if you tell her your hourly rate, more than likley she will look for someone cheaper.
  8. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Realters are like Used Car Salesman ya just can't trust them...
    On the hourly rate my suggestion is don't give them one they will just use it aginst you at some point, just give them an estimate on any particular job they want done....
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If you know the realtor it can be a great deal. Most are the worst customers you could dream up. But some can be good customers. Just make sure you get paid on time from the start.
  10. sglawn

sglawn LawnSite Member

I appreciate all your guys responses. The realtor is a family friend, but i'm like most of you guys...it's hard to trust anybody when it comes to money or agreements. But thanks for the advice on the hourly charges.:)