house foundation demo

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by IMAGE, Sep 24, 2008.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Whats all involved in a house demo w/foundation removal?

Basically just come in with a big ex w/thumb and start smashing and breaking the house up.... then load it up in trucks and haul it to the dump?

I have the oppertunity to bid on 2 of these... both OLD farm houses. One jobsite also has a barn and some small outbuildings that has to be removed also.

Thanks!:usflag:

2. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious, how are you going to bid on a job you're not familiar with?

3. IMAGE

from midwest

Have you never done anything for the first time before?

I am here to learn. I have time to learn before its due. Most all of the job would be subbed out to equipment owner/operators. Just want to figure a few things out before I put a price on it.

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

house demo here for the house is $2.oo a sq. ft. . If you have a basement, check out the basement and figure out yardage/tonnage and how much it will cost you to dump. How far is the dump from your site? That plays a large part in trucking cost/bid price. And yea, you can do it with an excavator or something like a 977 loader....but I prefer the excavator method. Make sure the guys know there is a basement........its fun to watch, but not really cost effective, when a guy goes in to smash the pile on the slab to get ready to load out and falls right through the floor into the basement. It happens.....

5. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if you have time that makes a bit of a difference...it sounded like you were throwing out this question as you were on your way to do the bid basically. If you're going to be subbing this out to someone else then why bid on it? What would your role be if you didn't do the machine work? I'm confused on that, sorry....

At any rate, be mindful of permits and such with the demo, be aware of gas lines and hookups, power and water etc. Make sure all permits are in order and that everything is marked and turned off so you don't cause a huge problem for yourself and others. Get an idea as to who will take everything that comes out of a house, you don't want to load a truck up and guess that some one will take the debris. Trucking fees and distance is something to look into and an excavator is probably the more efficient. I was going to do a small house demo with a 120 and that would have done very nicely.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

There are many regulations with demo depending on where you live. Some places are pretty lax and don't require much, if anything. Other places, however, require that the structure must be deemed free of asbestos and while the demo is in progress, the structure must be sprayed with water at all times.

So, once you have the house down, you need to figure out where to send the debris. If you can throw all your debris in cans and send them on their way, sweet. Some places, however, will not take everything and you'll have to be picking and choosing what material goes in what can to get where it's supposed to go.

7. IMAGE

from midwest

Thanks for the constructive replies guys.

Coopers - My role would be Prime Contractor. These demo jobs are on govt land that is being reclaimed to nature. Facilitator might be a good way to put it. If I decide to bid it, it wont be cheap, there will be a nice profit involved. This would be my role.

There is alot to the job: demo and removal of the houses, demo and removal of barn w/footings, removal of pile of asbestos siding from one jobsite (I believe our landfill takes asbestos, but charges 3x normal for it- something I will figure out), other outbuildings, finish grading and reclaiming to help nature take over.

Rockset- is that price just for the demo? Hauling/dump fees must be extra with that price.

Thanks for the thoughts on hauling/dumping costs. I will look into that. I will also check on permits required.

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Some of the most difficult foundations I have torn out were old farm house type. Sometimes there is nothing to them and they are easy money. I have run into some however that were reinforced with heavy cable. They threw whatever was available into the concrete. Makes it interesting if nothing else. With the right equipment, its nothing that cant be overcome if you should run into something like that.

Sounds like a cool job. Be sure you cover everything, and make sure your subcontractors are legit and your good to go.

9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

old farm houses have stone foundations...go out and look at the site first and foremost...you may be able to sell the stone to a local mason

problem with old houses is there is so much unknown...i'll leave it at that, if i were to go into the things you might encounter you would never want to take the risk in the first place

10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

as far as asbestos you need to be qualified and licensed to remove it...i think its a bunch of crap, but other people higher up don't think so

you might be able to remove it yourself on a Sunday or something...haha...but don't you dare let your employees touch it or that is a lawsuit waiting to happen