House from hell and a birthday present...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tx_angler, Aug 11, 2004.

1. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

My customer will turn 84 next Tuesday. He’s a retired USAF Lieutenant Colonel F-105 driver from Viet Nam and 100% disabled. This is also my “house from hell” just over 1 acre and it takes my crew (2 guys) about 2:20 to cut, edge, trim and blow the lawn every two weeks. The back yard has two fences (inner & outer) and 96 objects that need to be trimmed. The back yard looks like a miniature golf course with the obstacles in the lawn and every week we expect the windmill obstacle to be there

These folks pay off like a slot machine-check arrives like five days after I send the invoice but I seriously underbid the job and will cut the lawn until the contract expires in November. They are really nice folks living on a fixed income and I want to give him a birthday present. What do you folks think would be appropriate?

Thanks in advance.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

4 1/2 man hours to take care of a 1 acre prop??? That's nuts IMO. Job like that around me would run around 300 for a birthday present, I wouldn't have a clue.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like that about sums it up then...saved him lots of money on his prop. Happy birthday.
  4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

buy him a lawn nome
  5. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

Ask his wife? She may have an idea what he would appreciate.
  6. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

Either something of a patriotic nature, or, in light of his fondness for objects on his lawn - one of those concrete lawn ornaments. A concrete eagle or something like that. Tony
  7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

The windmill! 8)
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

see if you can get an autographed photograph of john KKKerry at a VIETNAM VETS AGAINST THE WAR rally.

the one with KKKerry and jane fonda is also a good one.

9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

For his birthday, rent a dump trailer and go over there and remove 90 of the 96 objects from his yard. Will be a present for BOTH of you!

10. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

tx anlger, I would suggest a sweatshirt or jacket with your company name & logo on it. Or the other thing I'd consider would be a gift certificate to a nice resturant.

Or...a goat to help with some of that trimming!!! :D