1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

House square footage

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by zapmaz, Apr 24, 2008.

1. zapmaz

zapmaz LawnSite Member

Im wanting to call around my area to get a market average of the going rate for lawn service. Not wanting to resort to lowballing im going to ask
    for estimates. I dont know the average size of a house in square feet but know what a 1/4 of an acre looks like. Can someone tell me the average
    square footage on a 1/4 acre house is, so I can relay that to those Ill be
    calling for rough estimates. I think its about 2000 sqaure feet is that about

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

if you dont know how to price a yard dont waste another LCO's time. thier prices and your prices will not be the same. you need to figure out YOUR cost of doing business and base it on that.
  3. zapmaz

zapmaz LawnSite Member

My price would be 1 dollar an hour. 1/4 an acre about $30.00. 30 min to complete the job. Mowing, edgeing and trimming.
  4. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

$1 an hour? 1/4 an acre at $30 = 30 hours? HAHAHAHAHAH Had to do that. I'm still laughing. Just joking around.
  5. nautica1580

nautica1580 LawnSite Member

I am in Real Estate, an acre is 43,560 sq feet. So the answer to your question is 10890 sqf in an 1/4 acre lot.
  6. zapmaz

zapmaz LawnSite Member

thanks for your help, Im still in the learning process for this business absorbing
    as much as I can from this forum. Someone can make a killing selling info that has to do with lawn estimating. Ive been to some bookstores and there is
    zilch about this topic.
  7. 2fatguyslawncare

2fatguyslawncare LawnSite Member

I spent a lot of time on this site, reading, asking questions, etc.... have learned 10x as much in my first month in business ... bid too low... lost money.... bid too high, lost jobs, etc... Learn enough not to look like an idiot, then just advertise and go to it. Be honest, have integrity and do quality work.