houses on the market

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ClippersLC, Dec 13, 2006.

1. ClippersLC

ClippersLC LawnSite Member

I was driving through a subdivision today leaving from a clients house who called about some tree work. As I was driving out of the subdivision I saw about 4 signs that had realators names on them selling houses. And then it hit me :hammerhead: how do these guys handle the houses that they have on the market for sale. I mean I am sure they have to hire sombody to kinda keep it trimmed up and presentable looking for potential buyers. Now my original question is this... does anyone see any problem with calling the agents and offering to take care of the properties that you see there signs posted up on? ;)

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I dont know for sure, but I really am thinking about calling a realator about a house for sale near here, as it needs cleaned up real bad. I REALLY was hoping for my season to be DONE, but that could be real easy money. I am pretty sure it is the owners responsibility, but I guess it wouldnt hurt to call the realator to get in contact with the owner. I know I have done work for homeowners that the house was for sale, but dont recall doing much work for a realator directly.

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I called on a property earlier this year and the agent called me back and gave me the owners phone number in N.C.. I called and got a 75 dollar every other week account till the house was sold. Agent also called me back a few days later and told me of another listing that might need help mowing with. I got that one for 65 dollars every other week. I dont have either one now but it was nice to have during the summer when mowing times were faster. made about 1000 dollars off one phone call to the agent. Most agents already have a list of contractors that they use but it does not hurt to try to get on the list and make yet another conection. Good luck.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

No problem but there is some risk in ensuring you will get the money on a house that is vacant. Maybe easier just stopping at homes that are occupied and have long grass.

5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I do work for area real estate agents - usually money is timely - they good to work for but don't rely on that solely as a source of steady mowing income.

6. GELAWNS

GELAWNS LawnSite Member

We deal with a lot of real estate agents and they are all great to work with. Sometimes we keep the account by continuing service for the new owners. However, we have had multiple problems when working with the homeowners directly. Get the money up front. For what could be only a few cuts, its too much of a hassle trying to collect. But if you work with the agent, they can have your final bill paid at closing.

7. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Abosolutley. If you are working for a home owner who is not living in the house ALWAYS get paid up front. People get pretty cocky about not having to pay the lawn boy when they are a 1000 miles away.