housing authority contract dispute

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cbuck, Apr 17, 2001.

1. cbuck

cbuck LawnSite Member

this year i was the low bidder on a contract with the local housing authority,and already problems.I would apreciate your opinion.The contract is just cut and trim 14 proporties from 4-1-01 threw 10-31-01. There are 31 cuts in that time if done every week, i figured my bid on 28 cuts because of growth in my area i figured 2 cuts in april and 3 in october.alredy had a call asking if i had started and if i was sure i could handel it since i'm just one person. this is the 3rd time this person has asked this and he alwas states how that is a lot of lawn for one guy, maybe for a pencil pusher is what i feel like telling him. fact is 14 props done in 14 hrs lorgest one took 1hr 20min. friday i got frustrated with this person and went to see him i explained that in two weeks they have only been cut once because i based my bid on 28 cuts not every week and my first cut really was'nt needed but i cut it anyway. then come the real problem he says i only cut half of the lorger propertys i saw this coming the dispute is all proportys on contract with more than one address are listed that way i,e. 2105 thru 2125 all but one apt conplex its an old church and the main building is the adress on contract but on other side of drive is a duplex with there own addresses i did not include these in my bid now he sayes ther all the some complex. i told him there seperate addresses and were,nt included in bid and they sould have the proporty listed at 1923 thru 1927 if they were included because thets how the rest of the apt. with more than one buildig are labled in the contract. who is right, sorry for the long post i'm just really frustrated.

thanks to all who respond.

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can't resolve the problem with him, go over his head. That usually solves the problem.

3. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Just my opinion, but tell him to piss off. The housing authority will be the biggest P.I.T.A. you have ever seen. You will be cutting for the dregs of sociciety who live in these properties, not to mention half of their belongings, which they leave in the yard. Forks, spoons, toys, lamps you NAME it! They leave it in the yard. I guess when you don't have much, you don't place much value an personal belongings. Run, don't walk away.

Then again, that's just my opinion.(although based on EXPERIENCE with the subject)

4. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

If the contract reads "2105 thru 2125"
    Then thats what you cut.
    The other address should be additional work
    and billed accordingly, and the contract
    should be re-written, and re signed by both parties.

5. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

I forsee having a similar problem in the future. I have a contract with the local utilities company to cut 61 different sites. Mostly cutting, some bushhog work and some pruning. I bid on exactly what was in their contract ( which stated no substitutions or deletion ). After running my route for two full months I see extra things that need to be done but they are not in the contract. I will be meeting with the utlities contact next monday to discuss these issues. Maybe I can nip the problem in the bud.

Good luck.

6. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Mow what is on the contract and if those other addys are not on the contract I would say you are in the drivers seat! Any lawyer will go by the contract and if it aint listed then they are screwed!

Good Luck!

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I dealt with HUD last year for a while. I can tell you it only gets worse. They were 20% of my business and 95% of my headache. They are never wrong. If you don't believe me, just ask them.

Put the mower in high gear and get out as fast as possible. You will never win while your dealing with HUD.

8. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Once you get all this worked out wait til it is time to go from a one man show to a 2 or 3 man show. They will require you to pay your workers on their pay scale not yours. Also you have to give certain benifits blah blah blah...I learned through others to stay away from local, state and federal contracts. I will just stick with my picky old ladies:D headache headache headache!!!!GOOD LUCK!!!

9. reeves01

reeves01 LawnSite Member

you sound like the low life of society, every one wasn't born with a spoon up their ass. then again,that's just my opinion, ( based on experience dealing wwith **** like you)

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I don't think he will get your message. He has not posted on this forum in the last 8 years. This topic was from 10 years ago.