Houston, we have a problem

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by goodbeus, Apr 24, 2003.

1. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

o.k...I run an Exmark Viking 52" for my main mower...about a year ago, I purchased a new deck to replace the old one...today, that 2" pin the idler pulley with the trun-buckle is fastened to broke off and there's a hole the size of a lemon in the deck....i had it repaired at a welding shop...now my question is this: is there a defect in that area of the deck? I know Exmark made a modification on both those pins from the original deck. What would cause a problem like this, maybe the turnbuckle to tight? I checked the pulley and it turns freely. I've never used double blades on this mower and I haven't hit anything that would cause damage.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Goodbeus,

Thanks for the post. Although I've not seen a deck crack out in that particular location I'm pretty sure its vibration related.

Have everything in that rotates from the engine to the blades inspected. You've most likely got a bent pulley, bent spindle or a bad belt that is causing the vibration.

Anything that might cause an excessive "wave" to go through the belt such a bent pulley or belt with a high/low spot could be the culprit as well. It would be unusual but even an engine that was too far out of balance could cause fatigue cracks as well.

I'd focus on the deck pulleys and spindle shafts. If you don't find anything there work your way back.

Thanks

Terry

3. goodbeus

yea, I was thinking of a vibration problem as well...I checked the blade spindles and connected pulleys and they are tight and balanced...I was thinking the belt was to tight...I have it set that you can't engage the blades if the mower isn't running, but easy to engage while the engine is running.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Goodbeus,

You'll probably want to have the dealer inspect the spindle shafts to ensure they aren't bent. To do so you'll need to remove the spindle shafts and lay them of a flat solid surface and roll them. They should roll completely flat across the surface.

Thanks

Terry

5. goodbeus

Yea, I bought new ones and tested them and they we're good...I've got maintenance scheduled Monday, so I'm going to recheck everything with a magnifying glass...If I don't find anything, I'll take it to a shop and have them check...2 sets of eyes are better then one sometimes...