Hover Mowers, Anyone using them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBrother, May 11, 2006.

1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Anyone using hover mowers for hills? Just curious about the quality of cut they leave. What brand do you have and how well does it work for you? Thanks!

2. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

My parents have a "Flymo" hover mower. Got to be at least 30 years old and still runs great. Max cutting height is approx 1.5 inches. Works really well on smooth hills, we usually just let it down the hill on a rope and started to swing it from left to right, while pulling it up.

John

3. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Lawn Brother, are you or your customer really woried about the quality of cut on a hill that you can't use a regular mower on? If so, why? And is cost an option?
    Here in Olympia we had the Olympia Brewery that had grass growing for decades on some very steep hills around thier plant. They had a crew that tied a 21" on a rope and by hand, lowered them down and pulled them back up again. It was always cool to see this manicured lawn where it shoudn't have been :) Heck it was so steep you couldn't even crawl up it. And yea, I even tried to do so (like so many others) as a kid. Anyway, it always looked great and attracted passerbys on I-5 to stop and check out the brewery and the park next to it. good luck

4. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Well, I have a few props that have large hills so that even a 21" is tough to use on them, and I hate mowing these, some look better when using a string trimmer on them. Around here there are many nice props with steep hills that are not maintained very well. I drive around town and see these all rutted up and sad looking, and wonder if there might be a small niche doing hills. Mainly, though, I don't like turning down properties because of a steep hill. Sometimes I get a call and go look a a prop with a bad hill and say "F^#% That!" I would like to be able to do them, and I would like to do them quicker, safer, and easier, and also have them look good. So, yes, I do care very much about quality of cut, and yes, cost is an option to a degree, but I do smaller props so I don't need a $30K "slope mower". I see that the Eastman HM's are around $800, and that is a little steep, but I could make it up in no time in efficiency on the hills I already have and the ability to take on work that I would otherwise turn down. BTW Oly, I would probably be one of those people stopped along the highway to check it out, that sounds pretty cool.
    Thanks for the comments, John, that sounds like a neat idea with a HM on a rope. Anyone else have any comments on the hover mowers?

5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

I used one when i worked for the landscaping dept. where i went to college and it was wonderful on steep hills.

6. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Work great on hills, dont know where to buy one or for how much.

7. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed one once about three years ago. Didn't care for it much, I prefer to use the whip, it's faster.