hover mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by malliso, Sep 13, 2004.

1. malliso

malliso LawnSite Member

thinking about buying a hover mower and was wondering what anyone thought about them?have a lot of hilly property.Havent seen any in my area so dont know if they are any good .

2. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

ill let you know a friend gave me one,(allen brand.) its suppose to run he says he bought it brand new, when he lived down south.

3. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Back when I mowed lawns I bought one, and thought wow what a great investment, I used it 2 or 3 times then it sat on a shelf till I sold the Biz.

4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I have one hanging on the wall. I don't recommend them. They are just a gadget in my opinion.

5. Geoffrey

Geoffrey LawnSite Member

Malliso,
    The only question you have to ask yourself, how hilly are these properties? Golf courses use them a lot to cut hills and bunkers. Allen is the only one I've used and it was absolutely necessary because of the hill I used it on but I hated having to swing the mower from left to right to get to some areas.

Geoff

6. malliso

malliso LawnSite Member

thats one of my next questions,,,,do you have to swing them around or can you run in stripes?the properties i have are i would say at around 45 degrees and some around 30.i wonder if you can run them in the same paths like a regular lawnmower,i m looking at an eastman hover,but i do wonder if they are just a little gizmo or really useful

7. Geoffrey

Geoffrey LawnSite Member

Malliso,
    This is just my opinion so take it for what's worth. I believe hover mowers have only one specific use, on steep hills. So to answer your question no a 45 degree hill is not all that steep and a regular 21 inch should do. I use hover mowers on steep hills and have to swing them from side to side to cut effectively. I cut some steep hills weekly so we need it but most LCO's don't.

Geoff

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

2 men with ropes tied to a hover mower can mow almost any slope.

Oldtimer

9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Note on using push mowers to mow steep hills. You should only use a 2 cycle lawn mower to mow really steep hills. A regular 4 cycle mower will not last long because the oil will be all to one side. I have seen more than a few mower killed by using them this way.

10. malliso

malliso LawnSite Member

my problem is that i am using 2 toro 22inch pace mowers on hills.replacing transmissions every 2 months,,,the hills are also rocky to boot.thinking i might b better off trying one of these mowers.thanx every1 for the input,very helpful.we want a mower just for our hill jobs.thanx geoffrey