1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hover Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Jan 16, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

do a search-there have been many recent posts about these machines.
    BTW- I run a 19" Allen with a Honda 4.5hp motor. Works well and paid for itself very fast.
  3. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

We have one but don't use it as much as I thought we would. It does OK but for the money a string trimmer works as well or better. Thinking of giving my hover mower to an older friend that has a small stream across his front yard and doesn't use a LCO.
  4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Last year I bought one from Husqvarna for a commercial property that has about 200 yards of almost straight up and down slopes on part of it
    I forget the actual size of it but it cost around $500...its the bigger of the 2 made by HUsq. It has saved us about 1 manhour on this property and it cuts OK but obviously not like a commercial mower but it does an adequate job and saves us from having to have a trimmer in our hands for over an hour.
    Would I buy it again now that I;ve used it?...yep. We tie heavy rope to the handles and work laterally on the slopes from left to right starting at the bottom.
  5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I, too, have the Allen 19" Hover with the 4.5HP honda. Great mower. Got a very slippery slope to mow on one property that I still have trouble with. I need someone to tie a rope to me and hold on tight. Retention pond. it works fine everywhere else, though. Tried the heavy rope thing and it didn't work well.

Ps. if there is high grass when youcut with a hover, plan on cleaning out grass frequently from the turbine intake.