1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how 2 handle this

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobcatnj, Aug 2, 2006.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

i did an install in may. of all the shrubs we planted ,6 are dead. the customer and i never discussed any plant guarantee and it doesnt say anything in the constract about it. i've been doing this for 7 years and never had a dead shrub that i knew about. how do u handle this?
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Time to bust out the soil-moisture meter.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Simple replace them,you might try and split the cost with him.
  4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with dirty water...you have a reasonable expectation that the client will care for the plant properly...If he didn't water, his problem,,,
  5. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

i havent talked to the lady yet, but im sure if i ask did you water, im sure the answer will be yes. how can i tell if shes telling the truth?
  6. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I try to keep in touch with past clients to see how things are going. I just don't want to drive by and see it go south. Most have us maintain their landscape with no problems.
  7. LawnDawg65

LawnDawg65 LawnSite Member

but I would replace them, that way there is no headache and I am still suprised where referrals come from. Better to have them happy than getting a bad reputation -- don't get me wrong their our times when we don't replace them, but with just 6 plants plant them and be done with it. Chris
  8. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

did the customer call and complain, if not replace leave note that you noticed and corrected but proper care is required to make sure the new babies live, ps this is a one time only deal
  9. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

I always go over maintenance and watering schedules with them. I know hindsight is always 20-20. I would split the retail cost of replaceing them.
  10. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member