how 2 stop ever joe with a mower in the back of a

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fraz001, Sep 21, 2003.

1. fraz001

fraz001 LawnSite Member

i'm sick of paying 4 insurance . to have some guy under bids 4 a lawn
    that he has nothing ( no over head)....

2. how do you bid on a lawn

3. how to bid a commercial job (mowing ,edging etc. ):confused:

I'm not crying I just would like a pice of the pie.
    ok may be just a little cry ,but most guys on the book have some overhead

thanks 4 the help guys

scott

2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

just like everyone else will tell you. just do a better job then he will, which wont be hard. the guy hauling a 21 push mower wont be around next season anyway.

3. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

just do quality work and the customers will keep callin

4. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Also educate your customers, keep a good apperance and next time you bid a lawn bring a copy of your insurance along, tell the customer to ask for the same to the next lco.

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Fraz001, Presume by your post that your client list isn't full= you need more customers and you're PO'd at losing possible new accts by being underbid by scrubs.

#1 rule as mentioned by everyone, make sure the work you do is quality, also make sure your appearance is professional, be sure you show you as agreed ALL the time for cuttings. Also listen to your customers, their wants/needs, fill them if possible while still making money. If they have complaints, resolve them.

There is no way to get rid of scrubs, fair weather mowers, like flies, they're always going to be there.
    I suggest you ignore them.
    Think about this, and granted it will take you longer to fill your client list, but it'll be a more solid one. Don't worry about the clients you lose in bidding wars, they are not the type clients you want. Even if you were to get every one of them, if price is their main concern, you're going to lose them to the first guy that comes along and underbids you anyway.

Now you do need to do a selling job (on yourself/company) when you do have a chance to bid. Do your best and it will pay off in the long run. If financially you can't wait on that to happen, then you're going to have to get out there and promote yourself/your services until you can fill your client list, and yes this might be a bit difficult to do at this time of the year. Don't know what all services you offer, you may need to branch out a bit.
    All you can do is keep going/selling.

6. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I do believe that is some of the best advise I have seen on this forum:D:p

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my opinion? its a dying business, there is no cure. if i have like 50 clients, maybe 15 of them are very concerned with quality, the other 35 wouldnt even notice if u skipped the wacking. it is so rediculously infested, this year more than ever. guys are willing to work for minimum wage, or less, ok, so next year 10 of them are gone. but, 15 more new guys get started. its like p*ssing into the wind im tellin ya.

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

So, Bobby, I guess that's why you told the printing company 'good bye', so you could become a new age dinosaur working for $2.00 an hour and inhaling all the grass clippings your lungs can handle.:D

9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

to avoid the scrubs........

stnd by your work, you must know that people associte your name with quality..with quality comes $$$$$$$$$$

good luck:cool:

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone is so quick to blame this industry for their lack of success. Everyone here knows that mowing is tough, for a multitude of reasons. So maybe mowing needs to be secondary, or partial to other aspects or tasks within the industry that yield higher margins. Although, there are plenty of guys that make a living at it. I'd take a long look at what "you" as a business owner and individual are doing that is keeping you from making money at it. I guess that would require a little thought and effort on your part versus just crying about it on an internet forum, to which nobody really cares, I know I don't.

It's really quite simple, what you make of life and/or your business is solely based upon what you are capable of. It's called controlling your own destiny. If for some reason it is not working, maybe you need to go back to being an employee instead of employer/owner of a business. I would imagine that if the time spent making posts on this site about price wars and lowballing was spent focusing on your business, you might actually learn something and make some money as well.

Now I feel I have just fell victim to some of you crybabies by wasting my time, on a rainy Monday, when I should be finishing my proposals, to tell you to quit sniveling and go out and find out what you are doing wrong with your business. It appears to me that there are oodles of successful landscape and maintenance companies out there so it IS possible to succeed in this industry.