1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How about a GOOD customers thread?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by justgeorge, May 9, 2006.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Put in an irrigation system for a guy last year. Each morning he had a cooler full of gatorade, pop, and bottled water waiting for us. He had also bought a bunch of bags of topsoil for us to use when the dirt (crappy clay) we dug out was no good, just dump the bad clay and use the bags of topsoil to backfill with.

He worked for the IRS; when we were done I asked him if he minded paying me in cash....:laugh:

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Thats awesome.

I had a guy put out a cooler of Diet Pepsi for the guys once. Bleck.

I guess its the thought that counts.
  3. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

jk... I do have one call I like to go to though that I went to today... it's a new system so there is never anything wrong with it... He pays for a turn on but I dont know why. When I show up the water is already on so I just run through the sytem... He also likes to program the timer himself... I try to take as long as I can to make him feel like he's getting what he paid for but you can only check the adjustments on a PGP so many times
  4. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

$300 tip on a $7,000 residential and a $400 tip on a $3,800 residential one time. We get drinks offered weekly but for some reason I appreciate the green more.
  5. This should be a pretty short thread

Most of my clients here in Colorado are good clients....seriously they are....sorta like referrals though, EVERYONE gets to hear about the bad clients (right Dana!)....but we don't talk about the good ones.

Nothing extraordinary w/ any of my clients the last 15 years that I wish to speak about publicly.
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

2 weeks ago when I was replacing RPs due to the latest freeze that came through (oh yeah, I woke up today May 10th with about 3/4" of snow) I had 2 customers come out with treats. One gave me a plate of cookies and croissants, warm, just made. And the other made me a cappuccino on a very cold day. While I was replacing her RP, her clothes dryer was running and the vent was close by. There was a piece of plywood nearby that I leaned up against the house to push the warm air to me. Very nice.
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

One gave me a 12 pack of mixed Sam Adams beer earlier this season

I have 3-4 that trust us a lot and I have their garage door codes to get into the home

One tried giving me hockey tickets for onr game, but I already have season tickets

The best customers though, are the ones that just let me do my job, leave me alone, and pay me when I'm done
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

How about the ones that lean over a little too far with a loose shirt :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Had a couple of those this week already

Yeah, we really don't talk about all the good ones much, but man, can I complain about the bad ones.
  9. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

yea my favorite are the ones that have given me their garage code and want me just to stop by in the spring and fall whenever I'm in the neighborhood to turn them on and shut them down... tell me to do whatever needs to be done and leave a bill on the counter...
  10. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

Those are my favorites also. I personally handle their service calls. Got 4 tickets to a Pirate game a month ago - I gave them away - When they can play above .500 ball, then I'll go see them.
    A lady last week insisted on buying us lunch. She bought 6 12" cheese steak hoagies........for 3 of us!