1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how about a little advise for the beginner?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaggy, Feb 16, 2002.

1. jaggy

jaggy LawnSite Member

Hey guys. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm starting a lco this spring and have done some reseach here with this forum. Heres the question for you pro's.
    For a guy starting out, with the goal of 75-100 accounts in a ohio city, what do you think would be the correct start up equitment for this business. I also should state, this is all residental lawns. I'm looking at only hiring 1 other person to start with as to keep as much as profits as i can,as i want to update on the equitment each year, so i will also be working the accounts. Any and all advise is appericated. Thanks.
  2. This is the place to get those answers.

I don't know much about you so I can't say too much.

I did notice a couple of things in your post.
    #1 Residential only. Most like a mix of clients.
    #2 Update equipment every year. Commercial equipment will last for years.

Hope this gets you started with the questions and answers.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

u didnt say how much job knowledge u have ,but the questions indicate ,not a lot.a lot o guys with a little capital or credit
    try what u are doing . i personally dont think it works best that way. i advise u to either work for someone else or start pt time.
    and learn some skills first. then when u are ready ,buy the good equipment. u should already have an idea about that by then.
    not trying to discourage u . i just see a lot do it with your approach and
    its a good source of quality tools at a good price for other lcos.
    as they change their mind after a season or two.
    in any case either buy cheap an forget resale or buy quality
    and your stuff will give better service and have better resale value ,if u decide to do something else. good luck.later now
  4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

do u already have any accounts? do u have any equip? truck? trailer? what size are the properties? its hard getting 70-100 accounts at one time, that takes quite some time in fact.
  5. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Starting 4th year, have aprox 55 accounts 75 fert. Could have grown but have not found good employee to help grow. Have been through about 15 so far. How much competition is there in your area. You will notice a lot more once you start fighting for accounts.

6. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

I think 75-100 accounts with one other guy is a little much for your first year. Don't set your expectations too high. I would (and did) start off with a new 36", a decent 21", a top of the line trimmer and a blower. If you will be doing smaller landscaped yards you will probably need a grass gobbler to go on the 36". You don't need to use it all the time but it is alot easier to keep grass out of a mulch bed than it is to blow it out. You could fit all that in the back of a full size pickup. You probably wouldn't be able to do 75-100 customers with that setup but you wouldn't start of $10,000-$20,000 in the hole either.

As far as being sucessful at this, there are a few simple things you have to do. First of all, call people back when you are supposed to. You will be very tired after a 12 hour day but if people need to be called then call them. Secondly, stay out of debt. Third, do the highest quality job you can. You might be tempted to rush when you are behind but the quality of your work is what will set you apart from other LCOs and you can't let it slide. And last but certainly least, treat employees as you would wish to be treated if you were in their shoes.

Good Luck
  7. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

"certainly NOT least", that should have been.
  8. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

great points in ur second paragraph lamblawnscaping
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Up at the top of every page is a search button. Push it and do a "title only" search for STARTING. There are a LOT of threads about this.
  10. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

75-100 lawns per week? 1 other guy to help? Well it can be done, but I don't know if a beginner can pull it off in their first year. If you are planning to start this spring, and don't already have at least half of your cliets lined up, START NOW!!!
    Starting out w/that many clients would require you to have some EXPENSIVE equipment and alot of credit=too much overhead. Start smaller, okay.

A 1/4-1/2 ton truck (easy to manuver in neighborhoods and norrow streets)
    A 5X14 trailer w/gate
    48", 36", and 21" w/b
    1 trimmer
    1 blower
    1 edger
    and lots of tools

Good luck b/c that first year is rough