1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how about a picture thread on why to sucure mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snapper, Jun 11, 2008.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

Well i thought i had it tied down good on my little 5x8 tilt trailer. Well a fine person ran out of gas in a blind curve on the highway and only got half off the road. I almost missed him, but the trailer tagged him and tossed the mower into the road despite two straps. The trailer was totaled And i fear so is the mower. Everything from the deck to main frame is warped. Their was a sulky attached which is what inflicted some of the damage. I had no insurance on it and the other guys doesn't look hopeful. The mower was just a few years old with like 230 hours. I went and bought the deere to get me by. I dont mow many yards so it is fine for right now. Only down side is it has 900 hours. The motor looks and runs like new, and the deck sounds good, so i guess i done alright. Tell me whatcha think it is worth and i might tell what i gave. so here is a very good reason to tie stuff down real well and most importantly carry insurance that covers your stuff.. So i am linking to photo bucket, Have a look.. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v613/84chevy/

Later chris
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

2-3 maybe 400 worth of parts, a sledgehammer, some intricate height adjustments to compensate for possible permanent tilt, and gtg. And maybe not... But a come-along might pull that back out, and the frame might have a permanent bend in it and it might not be fixable but I'd sure give it a try if that were mine... Also how much would just the back bottom frame run, then you need the two handles and possibly one or two other parts... It really shouldn't be that much, the worst is the labor all DIY having to pull the whole machine apart basically.

The worst would be the deck, if that's bent those are rather expensive, but the back frame piece?
    If you can DIY it would take a day or two but what, 4-500 at worst?
    Some parts could stay bent too, so long it didn't affect the cut or cause unnecessary wear...
    Remember if it tilts one can adjust one side up the other down, just as one example, and it might not work
    and I could be very wrong but I'd still be for at least estimating the damage.
  3. ezgoer1969

ezgoer1969 LawnSite Member

I thought anything hooked to your vehicle was covered under the vehicle insurance.
    I would call your agent. My trailer and equiptment is covered while in transport.
    Commercial insurance is not needed. My agent said as long as it is my company that the regular insurance will be ok. If I wanted higher limits then I may consider commercial ins. Maybe you can walk away from this ok.
  4. MnGreen

MnGreen LawnSite Senior Member

For me to have my trailer covered and equipment I must be listed as "commercial" if I'm hire to profit at all.
    I just yesterday had to call my agent and was told the liability of the trailer "only" extends from the tow vehicle, but full coverage of the trailer itself would cost me $25 for six months.

To insure my equipment if not on a "commercial" plan he suggested to get it on my home owners or renters until I went commercial, of which then every thing from the truck, trailer, equipment, and general liability would be initiated.