1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How about Isuzu trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bridges, May 12, 2002.

1. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

My GMC truck keeps breaking down, Nothing but problems form when i got.

The truck is 98gmc 76,000 miles.

Must of went thru 5 fuel pumps

Two days ago i broke down. they said I needed a tune up and that would fix the problem. Cost of tune up $532.00

Yesterday I broke down again:angry:

So what about Izuzu truck? Would that be a way to go? Would be the only truck i use.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I think we need more info. What would the intended use be? Dump? Pulling a trailer? Factors such as these can assist people in telling you what will work best for you.
  3. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

What I do is,

Plow and sand in the winter, Leaf removal, haul a 14' landscape trailer and would need a dump body. I haul mulch, stones, dirt, brush.

I think that cover everything.

4. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Isuzu make a good reliable truck. My personal preference is for
    Mitsubishi. The Canter (FE) range are a good truck for the landscape industry. You can get a factory tipper body for them and they are very good. A lot of landscape supply yards use them
    for deliveries.
  5. karl klein

karl klein LawnSite Member

isuza is part of gm
  6. Brian Logee

Brian Logee LawnSite Member

I am assuming you are asking about the Isuzu cab over. I have had one for 4 yrs. and I love it. I opted for the V8 gas engine. We work in mostly urban areas and the truck is very manuverable and easy to drive. You probably won't be able to use it for plowing or sanding, though.
  7. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

8. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

If you really want a workhorse buy a Dodge or a Ford. Pushing snow and towing heavy loads is tough on a truck. I have had gm trucks and they ride nice but they are not mules like dodge or ford. That is my opinion and my voice of expirience. Get a diesel you will love it. I dont see many isuzu trucks doing any lawncare or landscape work in my state.
  9. ChicagoLawn

ChicagoLawn LawnSite Member

I have owned my Isuzu NPR Hd since 1998(bought new)...... I'm currently looking to sell it. It has the 5.7 GM gas engine, auto trans, white cab/black stake dump body. 26,000+/- miles, 10' Stake/dump body with tail gate. Full snow aux. lighting kit, 10' Swenson Stainless steel MDV salter for $23,000.00

I have sub-contracted my way out of this truck.

E-mail me if your interested?

1998 isuzu npr web ready.jpg
  10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Bridges, the first thing I would do is go to the shop where you got the $500+ tuneup and tell them they are going to fix it NOW for only the wholesale cost of the parts. A 98 truck should not be breaking down like this unless it has over 150K miles unless you are just abusing the heck out of it. I have a 98 Ram 1500 that I work hard and have had to replace the differential and 1 sensor. Thats it, in 65K miles; knock on wood.