How about some chain saw recommendations?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keith, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, I have a confession. Most of our equipment is higher quality, commercial type stuff, with one exception...our chain saws. I had a Stihl 020 Super 10 years ago, but it was a lemon. Paid big bucks for it and put big bucks in it :rolleyes: It never panned out and I bought a (gasp) Poulan. Not a Pro, just a regular old $100 Poulan. Then we bought a second one just like it. Believe it or not, that did their job, but they are starting to show their age. They leak, they are not terribly powerful and they are a little embarrassing to use :eek: So I have come to the conclusion, maybe it's time for a little better saw.

Here's the problem, we don't do a hell of a lot of tree work or anything, but I am a power junky. I do not need a saw that can rip through a fallen oak tree in 8 seconds, but I find myself wanting one ;) Here is what I am looking at right now: 1)Husqvarna 55R, probably a good mid-range choice. 2) Shindaiwa 488, for obvious reasons this seems like a decent choice. I like Shindaiwa equipment and it has been relatively trouble free for me so far. 3) Stihl MS260. I have a pretty good Stihl dealer, he has let me down a few times, but he is better than most. Downside, the 020 Super came from him and it was a POS :angry: 4) This is where the power hungry thing kicks in, a Husqvarna 346XP. This saw is supposed to be bada$$, but way more than what I need.

What saws do you use in day to day work and why do you think they are a good choice? Any input would be appreciated.

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

We use the Husqvarna 350. Liked it because it has good power, 18 inch bar, and the price, $300. Personally i think its lightweight and low vibration plus Husqvarna has a very good reputation to make a very good saw.

3. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought an Echo CS-3450. We have a really good Echo dealer in town so I'm switching all my 2 cycle stuff over to Echo. I don't do much chainsaw work but, I need a chainsaw from time to time. Good saw. Cost $305 tax included. 16" bar. 33cc. Very lightweight and has no vibration. Make pm easier, can use the same air filters, spark plugs, etc. as some of my Echo trimmers and hedgers.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I still think that Stihl is the king of chainsaws. You got a bad one 10 yrs ago? So. I have a 026 that has never been in the shop once. A very powerful saw. It was bought new in probably 96 or 97. A friend of mine just bought a 025 and he loves it.

5. Mataman

Mataman LawnSite Member

I just talked to a Husky rep this past week on this same subject and he said for the average LCO/LMO, the rancher 55 is the choice saw.

No complaints though on my Stihl MS 290 STIHL Farm Boss.

6. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I carry a Stihl 011 in the trailer, it is used occcasionaly and has never given a problem IMHO it is a great little saw (2.5 ci).
    BobR

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 55 Rancher and it has been awesome.

8. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl is hands down the best Ive ever used no matter the size of the saw

9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

ALL STIHL HERE.

I am a power junky too and my Stihl MS360 (036) Pro cures my cravings. This is a professional firewood saw but I use it for everything.

Jimbo

P.S. All Stihl products and no problems! I cant say that about many products but my Stihl stuff is well made.

10. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

I have a sthil i bought back in 88 i cut 10 to 12 cords of wood every winter from 88 to 95.Aint been in the shop one time ,altho i dont use it heavy anymore when i do use it it starts one or two pulls of the cord everytime.