1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How about this for efficiency?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by logan, May 4, 2005.

1. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I was thinking that I would get rid of all my lawns with fenced backyards with a 36inch gate. I would sell my 36inch mower a use it as a down payment on a new 61inch Scag Wildcat to use along side my 52 inch Super Surfer. Has anyone else gotten rid of their fenced backyards 36inch access?
  2. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I have only two VERY small back yards, and I do them with a 21", I just charge accordingly for my time. I ended up getting a couple good customers on the same street because they saw me working there and wanted quotes. So, the extra time I work with a push mower, is billed accordingly, and got me a couple referrals as well. If you're getting paid for your time and difficulty on the job, it shouldn't matter.
  3. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I have no small mower except a very small Lawnboy. I only do yards with fences that have the newer, wider 60" gates. My 54" deck fits thru them with about an inch on either side (I don't have the discharge chute on mine as I run a Masterchute).
  4. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple that have small fenced in areas for their dog and I just use the weed wacker on those properties. It's only three places and the grass in these areas isn't the best so they don't mind.

When I get a call, the first thing I ask is if they have a fenced back yard and how big is the gate. If I can't get my mower in there I don't take them. I have thought about adding a 36" mower for the accounts I do have, but when I got to thinking about it, it's faster just to weed wack the whole area as opposed to getting the mower, mowing, then weed wacking. Perhaps I may get one someday, just not anytime soon.
  5. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We don't do fenced yards.
  7. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

What area are you in logan?
  8. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I live in central florida.
  9. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

logan... how many fenced in yards do you have?

i've heard of some LCO actually replacing the gate size to a larger size for about $250 (its somewhere in the ball park).... as long as you have a contract for at least 2 yrs its worth it, with the efficiency of mowing the gated lawn w/a bigger mower....

or you can sell the 36'' mower and get the new Hustler gate star (48'' deck) whenever it does come out... do a search on it, for pics, ect.
  10. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few with 36" gates and I mean they are exactly 36".The back yards are fairly large and its to much work for a 21". I used a snapper rear engine for a while but its to slow so I added a exmark 36" to my fleet this year and its been a major+ for me. The gate that is 36" exactly is a very tight fit ...it gets stuck sometimes and I have to tug and pull to get it through.