how accurate?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by surfsk869, May 17, 2007.

1. surfsk869

surfsk869 LawnSite Member
    from mass

figured i might as well tap into the the extensive landscaping knowledge in this forum and pick your guys' brains on this one.

got a spring cleanup job that involves cleaning up of mulch beds and laying mulch. about 1100 sq feet so we will lay about 7 yds. Im charging 50 dollars per yard, so mulch installation = 350. i imagine a few hrs of prep/clean up will be necessary in and around the beds,which will run about 280 in labor. estimated 3 labor hrs of clean up will be needed at 25 an hr, so total clean up = 75.

total cost = 350 + 280 +75 = 705

what do you think? probably a tad low.

2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

it seems low but if you can make money at that price it is the right price for you.

3. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Agree with patriot but does seem low. At the end of the day are you happy with what you take home? Remember, you have to pay for gas to get there and home, your responsible for the job and paying your guys, and for any call backs. I try and "Pad" my estimates so i can give the best possible service without having to worry about hidden (or fixed) costs eating away my business.
    Pad at least 15% of the job. I don't always use this %.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Ya, more than a tad low, I am in Ma. aswell and noticed your labor rate is way low. Labor hours is that for 2 guys?

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

what kind of prep clean. and what kind of clean up? when I run into people wanting some really heavy cleaning of beds but also want mulch I hit it with glyphosate and clean around plants. wait a week and hit it all with trimmer, rake and toss mulch. cuts labor time is less than half. charge the same. make plenty and still looks as if every weed was pulled. easy sell.