1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how and what do you do when you edge

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigmudder77, Feb 22, 2007.

1. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

i know this is a stupid question but i wanted to know how and what you do when you edge?
  2. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Edging is nothing more than manicuring around all hard surfaces such as driveways, curbs and walkways. You simply want to leave a straight edge between the concrete and the lawn. We use stick edgers initially to get a good clean cut and then maintain the edge throughout the season with string trimmers. This is very easy to accomplish and you'll master it after a couple of lawns. Your customers will really appreciate it and it give a professional look to your work.
    Good luck with the business!
  3. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

lawnsharks thank you for your help i thought that was what you did but i wasnt sure
  4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

It's nice to see people helping other members out with questions. Some guys like to rip people apart on here. The only stupid question is the one that dosen't get asked.
  5. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

you can use a stick edger, we just use our weedeater. all you have to do is hold it upside down, its not quite as clean but the home owner can't tell the difference, and you don't have to change equipment
  6. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

We also edge the flower beds and shrub beds with the trimmer. You can do that with an edger but it's a lot faster with a trimmer. It gives a nice manicured and finished look to the lawn.
  7. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I get excellent results by using a weedwacker. It takes time to truly master the skill though. In my opinion, this is the toughest skill to learn when it comes to grass cutting. New guys can screw up an edge pretty easily. Although the machine is light, it still takes muscular stamina. You've got to be able to hold it steady and firm, where you control it and it does not control you.

Just be certain you always wear something to protect your eyes when operating a weedwacker or mower.

I also recommend .105 line. It lasts longer than .095.

My preferred edging technique involves walking backwards. I get the cleanest results that way.
  8. Picture Perfect Landscape

Picture Perfect Landscape LawnSite Member

I go back and forth between walking forward and backward. Seems I like it different ways on different properties. eh...
  9. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

first i trim edges regular to tapper the grass from the mower. then i walk backwards and turn the trimmer sideways making sure the string is turning away from me. it does take practice but i finally got the hang of it and now its second nature. its very hard to train someone in a day.