1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How and when to bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJBlandscaping, Dec 14, 2006.

1. TJBlandscaping

TJBlandscaping LawnSite Member

I have a couple of questions first off I live by a grocery store and there landscaper is horrible and I was wondering how I can help them realize this and some how get a bid into them. I am a one man operation and have only been out for a year and want to get some commercial accounts. Also how do I find other accounts that a up for bid.

T.J.B. Landscaping
  2. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Bid now, most contracts end at the end of the year...they probably been looking for bids for the past two months so Id hurry up. Go to the store manager and tell him you would like to give him a bid for the landscape work, even if he doesnt want it give him your card to hold onto.

3. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

As far as finding other accounts, start knocking on doors.
  4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

When I notice a property that is being cared for by another LCO that is less than good, I visit with the manager in charge of the lawn care, and present them with pictures of the properties we do, and the pictures show that we trim curbs, and make nice lines (straight) when angle mowing, and we also give them references of properties we do. I do not degrade the previous job, I just present our philosophy of neatness, quality, and timeliness. If the present LCO is doing a good job, I may present a bid, but it is presented by saying "Whoever is mowing and trimming your property is doing a very nice job, and I am not here to take anything away from them, but if in the future your present LCO should quit, or retire, or for someother reason not be your choice, here is a bid that I would appreciate you putting in your file in case it would be something you would want to consider in the future.
  5. grant087

grant087 LawnSite Member

when do u guys think it is to late to go looking for comercial accounts? keep in mind our season starts roughly april 15 for cutting grass.
  6. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

Around here I wont even start checking into commercial accounts until after the first of the year, most that i have dealt with dont ask for anything before the end of Feb or mid march.
  7. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

Start late Feburay, early March. You find that many companys will wait til last minute anyway to get the maximum ammount of bids to pick through. Cold calls work well, have the bid and some marketing material avalable.
  8. johnny v

johnny v LawnSite Member

I dislike people like u.....Cutting throats downtalking the next man's work..
  9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Johnny - you better re-read my post. I specifically make an effort not to downgrade. I spend my time talking about what I do - I don't worry about the other guy. Also you may note that we compliment the "other guy" - Maybe you missed that part of my post also. Thanks Brad
  10. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I half agree.. your name of your company should be enough for commercial accounts to call you (If your noticable and you do good work.) we do not do commercial work but get leads and calls constantly... Also, regardless if you "compliment" the current LCO, your there for what reason? To get their job