how are guys spraying when its 85+ degrees out

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Quail Creek LC, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I see a ton of guys out spraying and fertilizing everyday. Almost everything is burned up and we have no rain it the forcast. Yet there are alot of LCO's in the area that just keep going. How are they doing this without doing damage to the lawns?? I need to put my #3 aplication down but I'm going to wait till the weather changes.

2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Here is the scary part...they AREN'T spraying without damaging the turf!! The thought of that makes me sick...to think someone wants to apply just so that they can bill the customer. In situations like this whats best or worse for the customers yard needs to take presedence over making money!! ;)

3. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I will fert(granular) but I will not spray. I just explain to the customer why. We have'nt had the problem you mentioned with rain,it seems to rain almost every day here. A different set of problems.

4. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

a lawn needs more attention when it is under stress.

5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

They probably have a 10 round application plan and have to get it down. Congrats to you for waiting till the proper conditions are there!

6. Big Hoss

Big Hoss LawnSite Member

That's my reasoning for slow release granular apps when I have a choice . Besides that it seriously cuts down on other factors that have to be worried about with liquid apps.

Big Hoss

7. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I even talked to one of the aplicators and he even admitted that they are having some problems with burning. They are even putting down trimec and its going to be over 90 for the next couple of day.

8. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing we are spraying now is Round Up, no weed control or fertilizer. It was 97f today and we mowed about three acres. The Round Up is being applied for weed abatement and along fence line separating our State accounts from the motorway.

9. qghs

qghs LawnSite Member

So what does a person do, It's hot the customer has some weeds, and they want them gone.

10. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

You explain that the high temps create a high risk of damaging their lawn and tell them you will be more than happy to help them when it cools off...protect yourself and their lawn.