1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How are Nextel phones??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Shuter, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Right now my cell phone service is fine. I have two phones. I have one and my wife the other. She calls me through out the day with messages. This system works fine. But from what I understand about the Nextel phones, the two radio is a better way to go. Any thoughts from anyone. To get Nextel service I will pay about $25.00 more per month than I pay now, but that cost of having the two way is o.k. with me.
  2. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 nextels I love the radio around here you cant hardly do business without one!However the phone service sucks if you leave town and they are expensive.I wish another company could offer the radio,that way the price would come down and they could swap towers.
  3. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

We use Nextel. 2 way is a fast efficient way of communicating to your base, subs, vendors, etc. The cellular service needs some work, drops calls a lot.
  4. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any problems with Nextel in my area. It works great!
  5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

What would paying $25.00 more a month get you? It sounds like I am in a similar situation as you. My cell service is fine, has great coverage for my area, and is substantially less expensive than Nextel. With all the free minutes I have every month, I have never gone over them and had to pay for calls.

The way I am set up now, I just don't see any benefit to paying extra for Nextel.
  6. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

In my area Nextel is the only way to go; At&t is horrible, Verizon is worse. We love our Nextels.:)
  7. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Verizon is supposed to have 2-way radio service by the end of the year. I 've been using Nextel for almost 3 years and I think the 2-way is great but coverage isn't as good as other wireless companies. The 2-way service is also going nationwide.
  8. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Nextel is great around here. I switched from Cingular about 5 months ago. One word of warning, however...they do not mix with water well. I was doing a mulch job about a week ago. After emptying the wheelbarrow of a load I was backing up down this narrow path...I didn't see the in-ground hot tub. :(

Fortunately, the only things that were hurt were my pride and my Nextel phone...guess it was time for an upgrade. :)
  9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

LOve mine, I have free incoming, voice mail, call ID, .... and 600 minutes for $49. The NExtel phones also allow you to have a second number in the same phone if you wish, a 2 line cell phone if you would need it.
  10. Kingspointe

Kingspointe LawnSite Member

Everyone I know owns one and every worker I know neeeeeds one. Service around here is great, phones range in price, with the flip phones being more. They have construction grade phones if your the type to drop them all the time but either way you go, direct connect will keep your bill down too if your a talker!
    Good luck!