How are the Large Tree Sales and Tree Moving Markets these Days

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by steven_ucf, Sep 9, 2008.

1. steven_ucf

steven_ucf LawnSite Member

Just wondering how the Large Tree/Tree Moving Market was around the area.

Is the business more residential or commercial?

Good Luck

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

down here we are just about ready to begin the season. hopefully it'll be a good one.

3. steven_ucf

Good Luck! I hope you do Great!

Also I was looking at your website. Looks like you do everything. Also FYI, you have a grammer mistake on one of the pages. "Sale" should be "Sell", on the Main page.

4. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Define large tree. Over 3" caliper?

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

thx for that... I just updated it and two of the ladies at my office have yet to get back to me w/ the grammatical corrections... not my strong point

6. steven_ucf

Trees from 5" to 8" in caliper, but over 3" would work too. Mainly I was looking at stuff that was more likely to be installed with a spade truck rather than b&b

7. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Not any spade trucks around here.However, I have noticed that more and more of my customers want bigger trees. Many are up in years and don't or can't wait around for trees to grow.

8. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

Around here large tree sales suck. they have dropped dramatically since 2001 a little every year. We have a lot of moves lined up all ready for this coming year. Earthworks, no spades by you?? thats odd since the big john office
    is fairly close to you

9. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

The whole industry sucks right now.But if your selling you would have better luck with the larger material.The only ones spending money are the rich and they dont like to wait.

10. steven_ucf

Thanks for the info guys! Reason I was asking, because for the last year I wanted to get into my own business moving trees. I am an accountant now; but I hate deskwork - my brother-in-law has been moving trees for >10 years and has been doing all right for himself. I have worked with him in the past and really enjoy it. But I get all nervous when I think about dropping that kind of $$$ and sitt'n around with no work. Brandon (Tomscreek) and my brother-in-law gave me solid advice, they both said to buy nothing smaller than a 90" spade. But I have been patient, trying to find a quality truck, at or below market value. My biggest fear is that I over pay, it doesn't work out, I decide to sell my truck, but I can't sell it for anywhere close to what I paid for it. Then take a $5-10K hit and having to explain that to the wife. Ouch!!!

Anyways thanks for all the advice. Anybody else please don't hesitate to share.