How are those 2 cycle/4 cycle hybrid hand-helds?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I remember seeing ads of hand held equipment that was a mix of a 2 cycle and a four cycle....you know the ones that actually are four stroke, but still use mixed gas/oil for fuel. I believe stihl is one of the brands that have it. I believe it is called "C4 Technology"? The Shindaiwa t-2500 uses this, I just found out

Anyway, how good do these things work? Are they practical, functional, etc.? What are the advantages and disadvantages of such an engine....let's talk about it a little! And how do these things work?

2. KNOWHOWELTD

KNOWHOWELTD LawnSite Member

its an interesting concept i would like to hear more...

3. cowman66

cowman66 Banned

yeah me 2 i have never heard/seen one

4. Flyrod

Flyrod LawnSite Member

5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I dunno about the hybrid, but the 4 stroke trimmers are trash. I had a chance to demo one a couple of years ago. HARD to start, heavy, WEAK, and too much vibration.
    I hear that CARB (some kind of EPA B. S.) is forcing the trimmer companies to go to 4 stroke to reduce emitions. When I have to buy a 4 stroke trimmer to replace my current ones will be when this little boy gets out of the maint. biz.

6. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Thanx 4 the link, Flyrod (pretty informative!)....but has anyone used one or own one, etc.?

7. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

"I dunno about the hybrid, but the 4 stroke trimmers are trash. I had a chance to demo one a couple of years ago. HARD to start, heavy, WEAK, and too much vibration. "

What 4-stroke did you buy? I wanted one for less vibration, so I bought a Robin BH2500 about a year ago. SUPER-DUPER machine, very powerful, less vibration than any other trimmer I have tried, and very lightweight.

I recently had a problem with it and decided to buy a Honda 4-cycle (UMK422), which I had passed on earlier, since the Robin was lighter. I love my Honda mower and figured the extra weight wouldn't be that big of a deal. Wow - I was in for a surprise - the Honda is way less powerful than the Robin, significantly heavier, and seems to have more vibration than any 2-cycles I have used. I ordered another Robin BH2500 and also found out that the problem on the old one was minor and easily fixed (plastic teeth wore out on choke lever). I would love to find a better machine than the Robin (better is better, eh?) but I have no complaints with the the Robin BH2500.

If Robin can do it, I'm sure they will all figure out how to make lighter and better machines. Hey, just wait til all gas-powered equipment is illegal! (Don't worry, there will be cool electric stuff by then).

8. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I also have a Honda 4 stroke trimmer, I find the greatest problem is the weight, these things are heavy. On the positive side mine starts first pull every time, runs quiet, not as many fumes and has good power. But until they cut down on the weight I would not buy another one.

Ray

9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Yardmonkey, I didn't buy one. THANK God. I only demoed it. The Redmax rep wanted to get as many guys thoughts as he could, and the dealer passed it around. As far as I know we all said the same thing as what I posted earlier about it. This was about 3 or 4 years ago, so hopefully they can get it right when the time comes for "normal" use.

10. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

My Honda starts first time every time too. I just used it a couple of weeks before the new Robin arrived. It is a good machine - except for the weight, the vibration and the lack of power compared to the Robin. The Robin is 24.5cc, the Honda 22cc. The difference in power is very noticeable. I don't mind having it as a backup but I will probably try to sell it. The dealer didn't want to take it back.

I didn't know Redmax had 4-cycles. I've never even seen a Redmax machine around here. I think most manufacturers will have 4-cycles soon, although it looks like they are mostly working on the 2cycle/4-cycle hybrids.

I had to order the Robin from Wisconsin. There is only one Robin dealer in OKC and they have still never even heard of the BH2500. This is a great machine!