How are u handling the leaves not falling in northeast?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Nov 14, 2007.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Seems a lot of my clients leaves haven't even turned colors yet, I am beginnning to think they won't fall till early 2008. I think I'm gonna extend my season then shut it down. I can't see myself chasing leaves that late because by then there is bound to be snow....what are u guys doing?
  2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Happening here too. . All you can do is sit and waite for them to fall. Drought and warmer than normal weather is what is causing this, I believe. You could just do your regulars in the spring if they will waite and if you don't have contracts. Baggers with piping don't do well in freezing weather. Leaves get soggy and clingy. Nothing good about late leaves.
    This may be the worst year ever--drought, high gas prices, leaves won't fall:cry:
  3. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

The fact that the leaves are about three weeks late is a pita for me. I pulling up to properties and theres very little leaves down. My guys arent getting many hours lately because of it. I am hoping I can finish the first week of December, Im pretty burnt out at this point. We had a late start this year due to the cold, we had dry conditions in Sept and Oct. and now the leaves are very late...... and to top it off everyone is trying to save a buck...

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i shake the trees:hammerhead:
  5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I'm just sucking them off of the trees. If the leaves won't come to me then I'll go to them.
  6. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

Andrew's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

It is happening here in NH too, I am tired of sitting around and just twittling my thumbs, while waiting for those stupid leaves to hit the ground. I showed up to a property the other day and decided to do the front yard, because all of the leaves have dropped, but I know that I am going to have to redo it, because the back (OAK) leaves are going to blow in. THIS SUCKS!!!
  7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Ya their is still alot to come down.......
  8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I'm doing cleanups anyway. I'm thinking that if I go this week and do a property that has 80% of the leaves down, worst case is I come back and spend an hour or so when the last 20% come down. I just tell the customer that I will be back later if they need me to.

It is better than waiting and having all the customers demand a clean-up on the same day in my opinion.
  9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

OR the day before thanksgiveing
  10. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

It does bite, but I never start the final clean-ups until after Thanksgiving anyway and usually work until the week before Christmas. I can only put leaves in street for town pick up until dec. 1st so I'm hoping they all fall I did notice today the colors are brighter and leavs are starting to drop like they mean it. By next week we should be drowning in leaves.

I've been doing the route and skipping houses where there are no leaves down. Anyone I skip this week I'll do mon tues or weds nexrt week, no biggie!

Here, it's useless to try to do a full clean-up this early anyway. Oaks fall forever and there are tons of them. I just go weekly and get some out of the beds and all off the lawns to make it look good and keep the lawn healthy. Then, after turkey it's final clean-up time, maybe 2 visits in december. That's what I do, others do it differently. Eva works. Good luclk to all of us. Ay yi yi.