1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How are your competitors treating you thus far??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Apr 2, 2012.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Here I am getting eaten alive. Did a clean up on an account three weeks ago. Guys going there to mow today - entire property is power raked, bagged, grass clippings all over. No one around, no one answers phone so try again tomorrow.

Another wantabe bought some accounts this year from a guy. Well two of his $30 accounts contacted me. Go ahead, mow, 4 step fert. app etc. Tonight I get a call from a friend, here they are mowing both accounts - right next to each other. I just mowed then friday and it didn't grow that fast.

I just dont get it. Every year it is something with these jokers.
  2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I attend a home/garden show every year as well. This year there were 2 new crews that started up. THey haven't taken any from me yet but I have to think in a small rural town there are now 7 of us LCO's running around with equipment and the pie keeps getting smaller all the time. Then I find that some people are out for lowest bid, others dont care and because of who you are or your father or whatever that is who they hire.

I bid one nice account. We spray it and take care of there irrigation. Well they call for a bid 3 weeks ago. I know from an inside source that they are paying x. I think WOW thats alot. I remeasure to make sure and I shoot them a price. I am less / time. I call them every other day only to here they have channels to go thru to decide lawn care. They are all about saving money when they talked with us but now when we are low bid I get the run-around.
  3. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, that piece of pie does keep getting smaller every year. There are about 25,000 homes in my city and about 45 lawn care setups ranging from from solo to 25 employees. Plus homeowners are doing way more than ever on their own. I see guys in there 80's doing their own lawn work still. What kills me is that I used to do so well on power raking and aerating because they are more of a specialty machine that not everyone has. Well now it seems like every lawnguy in town has these items so I lose much work to that now. New aerators are like minimum of $3K, you wouldn't think everyone would just magically have one all the sudden.
  4. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Same 'ol same 'ol here. Everybody's cutting, by June they'll be done. Heat and high gas price's always get'em.
  5. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Someone who cuts for half of my price isn't my competition since there not even in the same ball park. However on new calls this spring I'm 2 for 5.
  6. nortonlawncare

nortonlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

The other LCOs in the area are great, I'e handed off jobs way out of my league to bigger guys and they trade me stuff i can handle. This winter i had one guy give me three account, just decided he had his share and wanted to give his referrals to me.
    I try to be helpful even if i am the smallest outfit in the area.
  7. MTenterprises

MTenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

It's different in my area. Most other outfits won't even waive at you. It's like they think the other is stealing their lunch money. I waive at everyone. There are good ones and bad ones.
  8. BlazerRidge

BlazerRidge LawnSite Member

I'm on good terms with a lot of LCOs in my area. I just see it as healthy competition. Now the lowballers are a whole different ballgame.
  9. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Golden rule baby.

I wave at all.

Most of the ones that I know and talk to have enough work. In fact the 1st thing out of there mouth is are you taking on more work.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Only 7? Check this out. And this list doesn't include those "fly by night" low ballers. http://www.manta.com/mb_51_ALL_F53/greenville_nc?search=lawn+mowing&osp=greenville,+nc+lawn+mowing

We have around 85,000 residents here. When you consider that 20,000 of these people live in dorms (college students) that leaves 822 potential customers per lawn service.

And I wonder why it is taking me so long to build a good customer list. :dizzy: