How are zero turns on a steep hill? is this too steep??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Feb 10, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a job today and the lawn has a very steep hill in the back yard,just wondering would a 60'' ztr be ok on such a hill or would i be better off using my quick 36 on something like this? I cant explain the hill but sort of like this but not as steep.

Slippery%20Slope%2001.jpg

2. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

That hill would be to steep for my 48 scag zero turn more towards the bottom but if it was even the slightest bit wet I wouldnt try it.Id take my 48 exmark on it to play it safe.I also see a potential scalping on the top right hand corner.

3. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Please don't kill yourself, try a push mower.

4. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

A 48 hydro would have no problem you might have to lift up a bit to avoid scalp.

5. MV Property Care

MV Property Care LawnSite Member

Remember your quick 36 is a single hydro, so it slides easily going sideways on hills. If you use your quick 36 with that steep of an angle you will have to go up and down. That means you need room to turn around at the top and bottom. I recommend a self propelled push 21" push mower. Be safe.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

that like a 45* angle....any machine you put on it will implode from oil starvation.
    not to mention if the machine gets away from you it going through the wall at the bottom of the hill

I think your stuck with a string trimmer.

7. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

I never thought about the whole oil starvation thing. What are the chances of that happening? How steep does a hill need to be for that to happen?

8. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I think a walk would struggle on that!!!

9. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Geez....
    I say try it first... but remember to bring your digital camera in case you get it stuck down there... that's the picture I wanna see. :)

in all honesty... there's no way you could do that slope w/ turns... specially early morning.

10. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like a Job for a 2 stroke Lawn-boy. We have a lot of them type of hills in my area, and that's why I love the older lawn-boys, they are light and 2 cycle.