1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How bad do Hustlers Clump?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Travis Followell, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I know this is sort of a negative thread but I would like to know the answer to this question. I know they have a very small discharge opening and figured in tall or wet grass clumping would be pretty bad. What can any of you that run Hustlers tell me about this? Thanks for your replies.
  2. The Lawn Ranger

The Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

Hustlers do have a tendency to clump in tall or wet grass but it is not sufficient enough to cut down on time you are still quicker with the hustler than any other machine.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

It's a waste of time trying to cut tall wet grass with my 60" Super Z.

4. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

The new TOROs work very well.
  5. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

that is my only beef with hustler;they do not discharge well in wet grass.but i dont let it bother me as i have three of them.. go figure :dizzy:
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Non-performance in wet grass would put me out of business!
  7. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

Hustler has redesigned the deck for 2005 and it will have a larger discharge area. This should help minimize the clumping you all may experience.
  8. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

thats what i have heard but have yet to see or hear anything else.. seems like noone knows anything about the deck.if they do put out a new deck i will be buying all new!!!!!
  9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

My Hustler machines are no better or worse than our Exmarks under the same conditions. You just have to cut a bit slower in wet grass.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That's a mighty big statement. Care to tell us how many other brands of mowers you have used to make this comparision to?