how bad does rain back you up?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 8, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, i'm still trying to understand how you guys make a living, when it rains, and u still have to do the entire route, and spend the extra time to do an A+ job in substandard working conditions. we tend to dissagree on this subject, basically all of you disagree with me. please, help me to understand. when it's wet, we have to cut slower, we have to double cut, we have to spend more time cleaning up, and we have to weedwack many spots that are flooded and can't have a mower on them. as you all know, i have a very small operation. we had bad azz rain thursday night into friday morning. pouring hard. my route usually takes about 21 hours to mow. because of that heavy rain, it took 5 hrs longer, we skimped on most of the lawns, i missed 3, and i got 2 complaints of damage because we were in such a hurry, and....there was one other thing i broke, but i aint saying nothing unless she notices. so, the route took 25% longer, and as i said we skimped. i am going out sunday(mothers day) to finish the route. so, all in all, if i spent the extra time doing a great job in spite of rain, and accounting for the time i'll spend tommorow, i bet one day of pouring rain added 7 hrs to my little tiny operation. tell me, how much added time is needed for you guys to do your route, after one night of pouring rain? also, tell me how many employes you have. i'm just trying to make heads or tails out of this. thank u

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

rained here friday AM, and all day today. I am behind.....1 lawn.

It is sunny now, so i am on my way over once i get off of work.

Trevor

3. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Gedd!
    It's all in a days work. Sometimes we never really catch up. It is the nature of our beast. It rained 5 consecutive days here and everything i had needed cut as soon as the grass dried out but the ground was saturated and was dang near impossible to to that A+ job. We usually get in a get out and do the best we can and explain the situation and they usually munderstand and are usually just happy to see you nad don't say too much. One of my commercial customers complained and said I needed to find a way to cut regardless. I asked him when was the last time he cut his lawn in the freakin rain, no reply at the end of the phone and never brought it up. Especially when I explained there was a weather clause in his contract that he stated he had in his had. I kindly to him to read paragragh one and then call me back. I got all 9 of his locations done within 2 days time and everything is fine.

However I agree it is hard to catch up. If you ask me it is just lost revenue,,

Tim

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Here in Florida we can get rain at 2" per hour during the rainy season (June-September) and it can rain like this for several hours at a stretch. But 2 hours after a deluge of biblical proportions, the ground is dry enough to mow. The sandy soil drains very quickly. So unless it rains all day and I'm completely rained out, I can usually mow right after a heavy downpour and not lose a lot of time.
    On the other hand if I'm rained out all day, then I'm a day behind and it usually takes 2-3 days to catch up. I have 50 accounts (solo) and I can do 12-15 in a 10 hour day if I really hustle. But an all day rain really sets me back.
    One problem that we don't see much down here is standing water. Like I said the sandy soil drains fast and we can mow as soon as it stops raining in most cases. AHHH FLORIDA!!!! Gotta love it!

5. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Don't rain much here at all. Maybe a few days in the summer. Live in the desert. I just complain about the 100* + weather already! Hope it don't get as hot as last year though.

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

so trevor, you got the entire route done, in the usual amount of time, with the exception of one lawn? it didn't take any longer?

7. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby, I did'nt completely disagree with you, I just said I would not do a crappy job just because of the rain. We've had alot of rain here in RI and it sucks, but as many others have said, it just means longer days. Also instead of doing a lawn just to say it's done, I sometimes will just skip the cut and catch it on the rebound, double cutting a dry lawn is a whole lot better than double cutting a wet lawn or doing a crappy job just to say you did it. So like I said, don't sweat the small stuff.:D

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

fine, we had longer days. question, how much longer, and how many employees do u have?

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I schedule for 5 days a week. If it rains, I have the two days at the end to make up for the delay. Does it often work out nicely that way? Nope. Usually I'm behind in the spring ALL the time. This week, as a matter of fact, I actually got everyone cut and done by the end of the day today. What a freakin' miracle.

I agree with a previous comment that it is the nature of the beast of mowing, raining and being behind. If I ever manage to figure it all out, I'll let you know.

:D

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I think you have to do what you can. With the rain you have to have a happy medium between an a+ job, and a crappy job and hope for very little complaining. Its just the way it is.