How bad has the drought hurt you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBrother, Oct 1, 2007.

?

how bad has the drought hurt you?

1. Screw this, I quit.

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. I had to lay off many employees/take a pt job, but I'll be back next year stronger than ever!

5 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. It hurt a little, but we offer many services besides mowing and made it up elsewhere.

38 vote(s)
    59.4%
  4. No problem. Looking forward to buying some lightly used equip cheap this fall!

20 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Yeah, this drought sucks. But how bad has it sucked for you?

2. nickslawn

nickslawn LawnSite Member

It was bad here, it hurt alot.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Same here, still not sure when it's going to let up.

4. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

In my 43 years of living, I have NEVER seen it this dry. :usflag:

5. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Same as always. I live and work in the San Diego county, our annual rainfall is less then a foot. We are always in a drought. The county officials are always crying drought! Conserve Water! Conserve Water! We never rely on rain out here, its up to the county officials to pipe water to us. Different the most of the country. All my customers with green grass have sprinkler systems otherwise they would have dead grass.

6. avjohnson

avjohnson LawnSite Member

It's pathetic here in Mass. My income from maintenance is pitiful--about 25% of what it usually is since I charge by the appearance. I see no rain in the future either which is so sad. Are there options for temporary watering that anyone is aware of? Just curious.

7. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

Andrew's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

Not going to hurt me in the following years, because I just started the set monthly billing pattern for a total of 25 cuts = 6 months of solid income!!!

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

It helped me tremendously. All my accounts are full-service year-round.

I'll probably double my reseeding jobs this year over last year's. Folks are coming out of the woodwork to have their fescue reseeded. Right now, I have reseeding and sod jobs scheduled until around Halloween.:)

9. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Certain lawns went from one mowing a week, to every other week, to monthly, etc. I even had one lawn (creeping red) that just refused to grow. It was 53 days in between mowings! Never seen that before. Even so, I made up for the lost $ with two large landscaping jobs. So it wasn't that bad, but more one-dimensional lco's might've been hit harder.

10. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I havent skipped a week all year on any customers so it hasnt affected me.