How bad is the drought here in North Carolina?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Jul 20, 2002.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Well, we all here talk about how bad each of our droughts are. Last year was the driest on record here, this spring was also the record setter for heat and drought. Over the last 12 months we also have set records for lack of rain fall and heat.

Here is a good idea of how bad it is here. Below are a few photos of High Roch lake. It is a large lake north east of Charlotte and is a well know fishing lake. Due to low water levels and lack of oxygen in the water many fish are now dying. We need rain bad.

Check out this link:

This is normally full to the trees:

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I heard the other day that it was an El Nino year and this winter was supposed to be a wet one..............we can only hope and pray. That does look pretty bad there Kirby.
  3. KirbysLawn

These guys have went from lake front property to living on a golf course.
  4. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

So Who mows the Lake?

Those are some horrible drought conditions.

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

We are still getting some rain here in the eastern part of the state. But water levels are lower than they should be for this time of year. The further west you go the worse it gets. I was down on the Pamlico river this weekend and it rained hard yesterday and today. Of course this is an area that isn't in that bad a shape.
  6. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

hey kirby......high rock is in bad shape....... i aint never seen it that low, but i aint been there in a while either.........still lowest i ever seen it other than two years ago
  7. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Well Ray I can't imagine that its any worse than here. It always drives me nuts when guys outside of our area complain that "some of my lawns are drying up and I sure hope it will rain soon". If they could see what I see on a daily basis now they would be floored. About 10% of the large pine trees in our area have died from the drought. Maple and Poplar trees are in really bad shape and may be the next to start dying. If we got 2 inches of rain here it would do absolutely nothing. We need and dare I say want a hurricane to park right over the area for 2 days. The following link is to the National Weather Service drought monitor page:

If your area isn't in the extreme or exceptional range then you have no clue what a drought is.
  8. KirbysLawn

*#&*$&!)&$^#@^* it! Well, we have had a little rain over the past 2 days...adrop in the bucket. Being exceptional sucks.:angry:

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

We had some rain yesterday, and today it rained for most of it and tonight.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you look closely you will see that the red encompasses (extreme drought) the Chesapeake Bay region. Guess where I am.